Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Running

I just started running again...literally the other day. Saturday to be exact. Remember that I mentioned the half marathon here, well since none of you seemed to jump at it, I asked my friend Ali here if she wanted to do it and she said she would. She said she was scared (no idea why since she plays soccer at least 3 times a week and goes to the gym about every day, hung over or not) so I sent her Jeff Galloway's run/walk program and told her we didn't need to start until mid-May. Then she asked me to do a 5k with her on March 13th. How could I say no after she just agreed to do 13 miles with me in a few months? So, Saturday I headed to the gym (too damn cold out to run outside, my lungs would burst) and ran three miles on the treadmill....and it took me almost 35 mins. Embarrassing to say the least! I asked Ali how fast she ran 3 miles and she said her best 10K was around 25 mins and her worse (hungover and puking afterward) was 29. Uh oh, what have I gotten myself into? So Sunday I was back on the treadmill and shaved off 20 seconds, yesterday I ran again and got it down to 32:35....so getting closer. I don't know how I will do in 10 days but at least it will be a starting point for me.

I forgot how good I felt after running. Grant it the first few days were a bit rough because you apparently use totally different muscles for running than I have been using for my 4-5 spin classes a week but there is still something about being all sweaty when you are done and being proud that I didn't fall off the treadmill. I am proud of myself for doing my 3 miles on the gym treadmill yesterday and the fact that I actually planned to make sure I could do it. Hopefully that will continue for the next 10 days and I will not pass out at the finish line on the 13th!

2 comments:

m said...

Congrats on your running! Need to start again, but way to cold to run in the morning. Hoping the pilates helps with the muscles since it works all of them, but the cardio/lung part could be a little bit of a problem...

Oh, I would have considered doing the half with you, but you said you wanted to walk it!

Mel said...

Well, I said I wanted to walk because 1. I didn't think I could run and 2. I didn't think I would get anyone to run with me :-)

You are welcome to come on up and do it...I doubt I will get faster than a 10 min mile pace but we will see :-)