Thursday, December 17, 2009

Torn

Ugh, it has been a rough couple of days at work. I have a ton to do, going on vacation next week and trying to get a lot done before year end. THEN, I am asked by several people on Tuesday (or, 2 people, but 2 people who know all the secrets at work) if I am going to be flying to Atlanta for this Finance meeting tomorrow. My understanding was that it was just to go over our latest survey results (the same thing people say every time, they aren't paid enough, blah, blah blah) so I wasn't going to go. These 2 people made it seem important that I go so I asked my boss about it. She didn't seem to know but said it was up to me. Then she talked the VP to ask him if I should go and he said it wouldn't be a bad idea but still left it up to me. So, after all sorts of indecision (I was supposed to drive to Atlanta on Saturday with Craig), I had a meeting (on the phone) with the VP yesterday and at the end he asked if I was coming. I said I wasn't sure, but should I and he again said "it wouldn't be a bad idea" but in a way that made me think that he thought I should come. So, I booked a flight last night to fly to Atlanta at 5:55am tomorrow...yuck. Then this morning my boss called me and informed me that the decision was made yesterday that I would no longer be reporting to her and would be reporting straight to the VP. It will be announced at the meeting tomorrow and she didn't want me to be surprised. Hmm, I guess that is why I have to go. I have mixed feelings about it. I LOVE my boss. She is great and I love working for her. The VP is really nice too but I can't speak about working for him yet since I never have. He will provide more leverage for me to get some of the items on my agenda done but a part of me thinks it is strange to have me skipping several layers to report to someone higher than who I should. I bet there are more changes and we will see them tomorrow.

So, the torn part. Craig now has to drive to Atlanta by himself. I feel bad about it. I especially feel bad about it because the whole reason we were going on Saturday was to attend the xmas party with my friends. He wanted to go on Sunday so he wouldn't miss his soccer game on Saturday night. So, now I am torn as to whether I should tell him that he doesn't have to come until Sunday to make up for the fact that he has to drive alone or whether I just shouldn't say anything and have him come on Saturday. I will still go to the party regardless (well, if I can get a ride there from someone) but he doesn't hang out with everyone that much so he is usually pretty shy and is just better in small groups anyway (which we are doing with some of my friends later in the week anyway). Plus, I haven't seen some of them in a while so it will be a lot of me catching up with them which will be sort boring for him too. What do you guys think? Should I rack up these bonus points now?

4 comments:

Carrie Davis said...

If it were me, I wouldn't say anything and have him come on Saturday. Maybe he wants to come and see your friends...I know that if it were me, and Judd was going early - I'd want to be with him and want to see his friends.

But, either way - looking forward to seeing you on Saturday, and hopefully Craig.

Mel said...

I would probably want to hang out with his friends too but I don't think that boys are the same way...or at least Craig isn't.

Now we are supposed to get an inch of snow on Saturday, which is ok except that there are lots of mountains to drive through on the way to Atlanta so now I am worried he won't be able to make it even if he wants....stupid work meeting!

Meredith said...

I tend to be pretty shy too. I'd mention it to him and let him make the decision on whether he wants to come to the party with you on Saturday or wait until Sunday... that's just my two cents for what it's worth :)

Drena said...

I would let him stay. I go to a lot of Calhoun events without Adam (if I know the friends he does have from Calhoun won't be there) b/c it is just a pain to have to entertain him while I'm trying to catch up with others that I don't see as often.