Monday, May 10, 2010

Thanks Erin!

Remember this post in February? Well, sweet Erin called me that night and said that I should probably get the thyroid checked out. I started to notice that there were days when I would get so tired for no reason (enough sleep, not too much sleep, nothing strenuous, etc) and noticed that no matter how healthy I ate, I was still staying around the same weight and the second that I didn't eat perfect I would gain. It was also going to a different place than it used to be instead of just being spread out. I guess what I am saying is that it just didn't feel right for my body. I have always been fine as long as I get 7-8hrs of sleep (and I know some of you would dream of that) and usually if I make a conscience effort to eat healthy I will shed pounds. Didn't really seem to add up. If I go back and really think about it (and I said this a few times on my other blog) the math just didn't add up. So, long story short, I made an appt for the doc. That takes for flipping ever if you are not an established patient but I finally got one for May 3rd. I showed her the blood work with the high thyroid stuff and then she took more blood. She said that if nothing changed we would just watch it (apparently I am borderline) and if it got worse we would start meds. Not thrilled about the meds because you basically have to be on them for the rest of your life but I am looking forward to feeling better. I got the call on Friday that we were going to start meds. I picked them up and started Saturday. They say that it takes a couple weeks to really feel the effects but I already at least feel the effects mentally. As silly as it sounds, sometimes when things aren't right with our body we (and everyone else) assume it is something you aren't doing right.....get more sleep, eat healthier, etc. While a lot of time that is the answer, I think that I knew my body enough to know that might not be the answer this time. I didn't, by any means know, what it might be....I think that I just knew something was off. I feel mentally relaxed now to know that there is an answer. I guess we will see if the meds have any effect over the next few weeks. I have to go back in a month to check the levels again.

Anyway, as you can tell by my other post, I didn't really think that it was a big deal and probably would have procrastinated on it a lot longer had Erin not called me.

So, lesson of the post is 1. listen to your body and 2. be nice to Erin :-)

In other news, vacation has been pretty active so far. It is gorgeous out here weatherwise....nice almost 80s but breezy.....well, down right windy! I think I inhaled enough sand yesterday to be the equivalent of a 1 yr old eating sand at the beach. It was the hardest 1hr walk back to the car ever! Today is Santa Fe!

1 comment:

Erin H. said...

Thanks Melissa! Just so everyone else knows, you did have an abnormal lab test that really sealed the deal on what was wrong :)