Wednesday, June 17, 2009

101 things in 1001 days - 1 Year Anniversary

Well, it is a week late but I was on vacation. Here is my list and I updated it. I have gotten through only 13 things in a year so I really need to get moving. It is sort of funny that I looked at it right around the year anniversary (it was a coincidence) but I decided that I wanted to start working on number 50. I decided it on our trip and I told Craig that I thought we should start savings our change and then take a vacation using only cash. He sort of laughed at me at first but then everytime we got change I put it aside and he started to think that it was funny and that he would participate. He says that he needs the quarters cause he uses them but that he will save the rest. It is sort of cute cause I talked to him last night and he said he had some more change for the pot. I am going to get or make some sort of cute little bank for us to put it in. We collected all the change when we got home and we have about $20 so far. I also have a change bank here in Atlanta and it had $53 in it...so we are on our way. I wanted to set out some more specific rules for us to follow:
--we can use points to pay for airlines, hotels, rental cars, etc and it counts as cash cause it is free.
--we can use credit cards to make reservations or if we have to pay for a flight with one we can but we have to send the payment to the credit card company within 24 hours.
--once we decide we are going we cannot use any cards and can only use the cash we have with us.

Can you guys think of anymore rules? Right now we only have $75 which is about a day trip but hopefully we will be able to save a lot more. I always seem to find $1 bill stuffed in pockets or my purse (not in my wallet) so I think that I am going to throw those in there too. Wish us luck :-)

How is everyone else doing on their list a year later?

5 comments:

Rebecca said...

About a year after Josh & I first got married we did something similar (though we have really slacked off lately). Whenever we would go to Kroger & use our Kroger Plus card, you know how at the bottom of the receipt it tells you "You saved $5 by using your Kroger Plus Card". When we would get home, we would put that amount in out jar. So if we only saved $1, we'd put $1 in. If we saved $20, we'd put $20 in. We would also put our spare change in there every day too. We did this because we realized the first year (towards the end of the year) that our total Kroger Plus savings were in the hundreds, and we had the same idea as you - use the savings for when we go on vacation. So that's another idea that will help you add up much faster than just the change. Of course, this is all assuming you shop at Kroger. :)

Drena said...

i need to change some of my list b/c some things are no longer important to me and i don't care about doing them. i have made progress though on lots. i had done 18 of them. maybe i'll work on a revision.

Mel said...

@Rebecca - that is a great idea. I do shop at Kroger and another local place that has a same type program and I was actually going to start shopping at a place that has a better variety of veggies and fruit but only for the veggies and fruit cause the other stuff is expensive so I could definitely do that. You are right and it will add up a lot faster!

@Drena- I felt that way too when I was reading through mine last night. I think that I might change some of mine too but I want to just cross through the old stuff and write in the new stuff so I can see how my priorities changed.

m said...

I was thinking about my list yesterday. Guess I need to look at it and see how it is going. Thinking not too good...

m said...

And I really like your vacation idea!