Sunday, June 28, 2009

Ouchie...

That is sort of how I feel. Just achy. It is achy in a good way though...well, all except for that stupid neck muscle that will not chill out. It was getting better on Friday but two plane rides and two nights of sharing the bed with someone else and it is starting to hurt again :-( Hopefully it will be back on the rebound soon.

Friday I got home at about 3:30 which was preceeded by fun events :-) On the way to the airport in Charlotte we hit traffic because of an accident and were pushed for time at the airport. Since my senior's flight was 35 mins before mine I dropped her off before returning the rental car. Once I pulled off I realized that she forgot her cell phone...UGH. So, after returning the car and getting through security I had to make it all the was to E20. It was pretty far considering I went in at the B gate and my flight was at A1. Luckily I made it down there fine and then made it to my flight, so it wasn't too much drama, especially compared to my normal travels :-)

When I got home on Friday I decided to go to the bank to open a savings account for Craig and my trip. He had mentioned once that he had a hard time saving coins cause he would always want to know how much he had so I had looked into savings accounts with no minimums. Well, it turns out that there is a special program in Ohio that is called SaveNOW. You can make as many deposits and you want, up to $500 at a time until you reach $5,000 and after 10 months the state of Ohio sends you a questionnaire. Once you fill out the questionnaire they give you 3.25% interest as a bonus. This is on top of the bank's .75% that they give for this type of account. You can pull the money out at any time and after a year it just turns into a regular savings account. Not sure how many of you have checked the interest on your savings accounts (other then ING) but they are around .4-.5%...not even a full %, so 4% sounds great! I also thought that this would be easier for Rebecca's idea of putting my savings from Kroger in there (which by the way was $24 today and my total purchase was only $39)...this way I can just transfer the money without having to go to the bank. We will see how it goes....

After the bank Craig and I went for a bike ride...not your run of the mill easy bike ride either..this was a 15 miler on my mountain bike...which is not easy if you are not going down a mountain. It was a good workout for me (and probably the reason that my neck is still sore). We were going to go again tonight but we ran out of time today. They have trails here like the Silver Comet Trail but they are more far reaching.

Last night we went to the Crew (Major League Soccer) and today I spent 3 hours in my garden. It had been pretty neglected since I have been gone for 3 weeks. Craig watered it for me if it didn't rain (which it does pretty regularly here but not enough to be annoying) but he didn't pull weeds or sort it all out. If you remember, I had planted peas, snap peas, green beans, carrots, zucchini, a pumpkin, and some pepper plants. Well, I picked enough green beans and peas for a meal so that was fun. The zucchini is out of control but no actual zucchinis yet :( And, apparently a pumpkin that I broke the stem off of when I transplanted, ,has survived and we have a nice long vine now! What did I spend 3 hours doing? Well, first I had to weed the whole thing, then I gently moved the zucchinis so they wouldn't invade other plants, I thinned the carrots and then I set out to untangle the peas! Oh the peas...that was probably an hour and a half by itself. The peas grew to be about 4ft tall and since I didn't have stakes for them to vine up they were one big tangled mess. They were all attached to each other and growing in every direction. Now they are all sorted out so I hope they will produce more veggies. Finally, my strawberries have sprouted little runners. If you put them in soil (or lay them on it) then they will root and grow a new plant so I did some of that. If it works I will have turned 4 plants into about 20...weird huh. We will see!

So, I am thankful to have been home all weekend and I think that I made the most of it. The eating healthy thing is still going....I felt like I made really good decisions last week with all of my eating (other than ice cream twice) and I am trying to eat non processed food almost exclusively when at home so we will see how it goes. There are still a couple meals (breakfast) that I am trying to figure out but I am definitely making progress. I am now reading this book. It is really good and sort of scary at the same time. I heard that they were trying to make a movie (or had) but the food industry is trying to block its release. Basically it is about how scientists try to break down food into nutrients and tell us which nutrients are good and bad but because food is made of so many different things, it isn't really practical to break it down like that. The prove being that no supplement works as well as the food in which the vitamin is contained. It also talks about how low fat diets have pretty much done nothing to prevent heart disease or other chronic diseases linked to diet and how all those "studies" are really not accurate because it is really hard to isolate anyone's diet. I don't know, I just saw him on Bill Mahr one night and what he said seemed to make sense so I thought I would check his book out. It also went along with my eating less processed stuff so I am checking it out. He does use the word "nutrition" too much but other than that I like it, 70 pages in! I will let you know if I like it in the end and anyone is welcome to borrow it!

Ok, this much be the longest post EVER so if you are still around, then I hope you have a good week! Only 4 days this week for me and I have so much to do that I think that it will go by really fast!

No comments: