Monday, September 14, 2009

How to start a business in Ohio....

Want to know another thing that I like about Ohio? They actually make it easy to open a business here. Well, that might be jumping the gun a bit but so far it looks like they might actually have useful information.

When I was trying to figure out how to open a business in Atlanta and how to get a business license, insurance, sales tax number, and all that it was really hard. You really had to read everything and even then it was sort of confusing as to when to charge tax and when not to and all that. Well, when I did a quick search today for the same thing in Ohio they had a nifty little survey that you filled out and then it would download all the documents you need into a little zip file "kit". I hope it is all there. I haven't actually opened the zip file yet but that is my project for tonight. Craig has another friend who he hasn't talked to in a while that showed up out of the blue (more on that below) and she had a friend/sister (he couldn't remember) who needs a new photographer so I got to thinking that I am ready to make the transition. I spent all day Saturday messing with my website to change it over to Ohio and to try to get some new clients (still working on one part of it cause I know very little code and my pictures aren't showing up). I did a new google ad and I looked for places that I might be able to set up a studio. I even went and met with a guy on Friday who said I could use his studio whenever I wanted. It was nice of him but he doesn't seem to have any structure (which is good because it is easy going but also bad because I am sort of afraid that he will flake on my when I have a client set to come and then can't.) There are TONS of retail places that are empty in Ohio (even that nail place that I talked about hating when I first got to OH) so I am trying to see if any of those will be good. I found a place downtown that would be perfect, but unfortunately that is not the part of town that my customers would probably be in and Craig thinks that it might freak them out a little bit to go downtown.

So, this friend of Craig's that showed up out of the blue...it is a girl that he has known forever and they used to work together and stuff but she has moved on. He had lunch with her on Saturday and when he came home he said that she was the most like me of any of his friends and that she suggested that we all four (us and her and her fiance) get together. I am pretty excited about it. I think that I have bored most of you with the rest of Craig's friends and how the one girl doesn't seem to like me though I can't figure out why because I have never done anything to her. It makes it all awkward so I hope that with this girl being "most like me" it will be more fun. I am going to try to see if we can get together with them in a couple weeks when I get home. Should be fun.

Sorry for the rambling post...I got up at 4:45 this morning and then worked until 7pm....

ps, does anyone else hate coming up with titles for their posts? I am horrible at it...

1 comment:

Meredith said...

I HATE coming up with titles for posts!!!

Keep us posted on how the start up is going there! :)