Friday, October 23, 2009

CSAs

Ok, I know, two posts in a matter of hours but if you read the last post you will understand.

The other night when the weather was crappy we watched Food 101. It is sort of a documentary about the food industry...it is partly done by the guy who wrote Fast Food Nation and partly by the guy who wrote In Defense of Food (which I posted about a while back here). It talks about how poorly they treat the animals and workers in the large farms for cattle, chickens, and hogs. It also talks about what big companies do to small individuals. It really made me sick. Even though I read those two books, seeing it on screen made it so much more real. You guys know that I have been trying for quite some time to cut out the processed food and eat healthier. This movie just reconfirmed all of that for me. So, all that to say that I am going to sign up for a CSA in the spring for us. I know it can be a bit of a pain to go and pick up our food and stuff but I do spend a large part of our food budget on fresh items so I think that it would actually benefit us...plus, we can eat what is in season and I can learn to make new things with veggies that we don't currently eat (or puree like Rebecca). I really enjoyed having a garden this summer and I think that I would love getting more fresh produce.

So, I found this website (I encourage you guys to check it out because you can search anywhere in the country) and have narrowed it down to two of them. I need a little help deciding. Craig will not entertain my craziness because he says I have 6 months to figure it out....which is true, but since I am stuck in a hotel now, I thought I would get suggestions from you guys.

Spring Run Farm and CSA
:
Pros:
--you have to work 12 hrs throughout the season and will meet other people.
--there is a lunch after every working day and an end of season party.
--$300 for 20 weeks
--Close to us

Cons:
--You have to work so if I got busy (hopefully with photography) then it would be tough to get it all in.
--It only goes June-Oct
--no meat at this farm


Mulberry Farm CSA:
Pros:
-- June-Feb so only a few months we won't get stuff.
--you can get your own garden there for a nominal price (which is a good way to meet other people who have them there next to you because no one can work alone). Plus it will probably be full sun and my one at home is not so I could grow more stuff.
--You can work on the farm and then earn discounts in the future (and meet people).
--you can also get meat (though not beef and it is REALLY pricey, there is a local grocery store that only sells the free range chicken and it is cheaper).
--you can give back what you don't want
--you can get eggs

Cons:
--$250 for every other week or $500 for every week...more pricey but longer.
--further from home and pick up might be tougher
--no required work so you might not meet people.

I guess that the thing that appealed to me the most with the first one is that I might be able to meet people, do you guys have any opinions?

No comments: