Friday, October 23, 2009

Weather

sucks here....ugh. It is about 34 degrees and about 30mph winds with pouring rain that blows sideways. YUCK. Yesterday when we looked up the weather it looked like it would be ok until about 4pm today so we were hoping to get a lot in before then but when we woke up it was already really windy and raining. We contemplated going home but couldn't cancel our hotel room which was about $200 so we decided that maybe it would move out early since it moved in early. So far, no such luck. Then to top it off we had a "weekend getaway" package at our hotel that was a $50 gift certificate to a local restaurant, a one hour bike rental and a lb of fudge. We obviously can't use the bike rental and the local restaurant is already closed for the season....so we got refunded $50 which might have been enough for me to say for us to just go home, had I known. I think that we are going to cut the trip short and go home tomorrow anyway. It is supposed to rain at our next destination and I was out of town for almost two weeks before being home for 12 hours and then leaving for vacation.

Don't get me wrong, I still love spending time with Craig but sitting in a hotel room all day with him is like trying to keep a golden retreiver in a crate the size of a shoebox...it just doesn't work. He likes to be out and about so it sort of puts a downer on things...plus, most of the places we have been close early and it got dark aroudn 5:30 so we were in the hotels for most of the evening anyway...we don't need to be there during the day too.

I guess I shouldn't complain too much, we normally have great luck with weather on vacation (other than being cold when we pick a place that is supposed to be cold to go to) but this cold front that is moving all over the country hit here too. It hasn't been this cold this week since the early 80s....what are the chances? It is probably worse because we are on an island (which involved a ferry that was like a speedboat and where the guy on the end of our row and a girl across the aisle seemed to not enjoy. The girl across the aisle had a bag ready and I was nervous because I didn't know what the chain reaction might be. We had 5-8ft waves but we weren't rocking side to side. I was really nervous and complained a bit and then felt bad about it.) Tomorrow there is a half marathon here and I can't imagine that many people will actually make it out for it....They are crazy if they do.

Oh, and the other thing that sucked about this trip was that my camera crashed to the ground in the Packers Hall of Fame when my strap came undone and now it will not turn off and I can't get it out of Apeture mode...that means I can't use it in my studio anymore (without getting into the technical aspects of it...it will not acknowledge the studio lights). That sucks, it was my backup camera and I just bought it a couple months ago for a bit of a hefty price tag....GRRRR. I do have insurance for my photography business and it should cover my equipment no matter where I am but I have read about photographers having problems actually get payments from insurance companies...not that I am surprised. We will see.

Ok, end of pity party....I am going to go crochet while Craig naps....very exciting!!

No comments: