Monday, February 21, 2011

Thanks Guys!

Thanks for the running suggestions. Unfortunately it is raining/sleeting/snowing today but I might have to make it to the gym later to at least give the interval one a try. I would still love more ideas but I am going to try these so far:

1. Intervals one day a week...I will do 10mins/1min. I think that will be plenty and eventually I would like to work up to 20/1 because most races have water stops every mile to every 2 miles. I think that it is beneficial to walk through the water stops so you can get more water in...I have learned that I need to drink early because by the time I am thirsty, it is too late. I think that I might try the intervals on my long runs.

2. I will pick a couple landmarks around my routes that are the only places I will be allowed to check my watch. I think that this might still cause me to fall into the pitfall of getting down if I am not faster but I am going to try to not let that happen by picking places that are well past when I normally start to feel the urge to walk.

3. I also read somewhere else that this guy used to slow down to a VERY slow run and see if he could maintain it instead of walking. He said that he would concentrate on trying to run slow and then his body would recover and he would be back at his normal pace. I think that would work for me because running slow is still way faster than walking.

If you guys think of anything else, let me know.

1 comment:

Drena said...

I'm just going to throw this out there. There is really nothing wrong with walking. My best time in cross country in the very low 20 minutes for a 5k, I walked about 20 seconds.

Don't beat yourself up too much.