Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Scheduling

I read or heard somewhere that you should schedule everything in your life and you will be less stressed. I have thought about this a lot and couldn't decide if it was true or not but the more I thought about it the more it seemed like it might be. Think about it. Right now I have a HUGE to do list and and even HUGER (it is a word, I promise) project list. They both seem neverending and when I have free time I am not sure where to start so I end up doing nothing. If I scheduled them then I would know exactly what to work on and I might actually do it. The example that I heard about had the guy literally scheduling everything that took longer than 5 mins. I would never do this in my personal life but I could almost see this being helpful at work. Call so and at x time, respond to all emails at x time, etc. As for the personal life, I think that if I narrowed it down to one project per weekend of me not traveling then I could get my projects completed a lot faster. I have so many things that I want to work on that I ened up doing a little here and a little there but nothing is completed. Last weekend I decided that I was going to work on my Ohio website and I did and now it is almost done. I kind of want to continue the trend. So, as I sit on the plane I am going to work out what I want to do which weekend.

Also, do boys ever seem to have projects? I feel like I am constantly needing to do this or that but Craig doesn't really seem to have the same to do list. He is working on my bike so I guess that counts as a project and he is working on editing his pictures from our trip (which he will get done way before me, I am sure) but other than that he doesn't seem to really have any projects. Do I have more because of my business or do guys just operate differently and just work on things as they come up until they are done and then move on? I am curious.

I am typing on the plane in airplane mode, though I still think that people around me think I might crash the plane with my phone. Amatuers!

Having slight withdrawal this morning from the tour. Hoping I can make it to work in time to stream the end of it. It is not supposed to be an exciting day cause it is flat but I still want to watch. I am seriously comtemplating calling my hotel for next week to make sure they have the channel it is on. I guess not much I can do if they don't other than find a bar to watch it in but next week is supposed to be the best week. It is the mtns where the field separates and it is the 3rd week so people are tired and start to slack! I want to see what Lance will do!!

3 comments:

Erin H. said...

I took the Franklin Covey Focus class on work, and they teach you to plan daily and weekly (plus long term, but I'm not so good at that). I went into the class a little skeptical, but I came out a believer! I have a daily task list, and I really like checking things off of it!

Rebecca said...

Josh definitely has projects at home (in fact, yesterday his project was to call the new gas company to switch our service over at the beginning of August). Is it possible that Craig DOES have projects but he just doesn't mention them to you because he thinks you might find them boring? For example - if he has a yard, I assume he mows the grass? Project...but do you care about that? Probably not. But, I will admit that I do seem to have more projects than he does (mainly because I do all the errands like shopping for all these birthday gifts we have to buy for Zachary's friends and I do all the photo stuff). But he definitely has some projects of his own too.

Mel said...

@erin- I am going to try it :-)

@rebecca- maybe. he does do a lot of stuff in the yard...almost every week but I guess I am doing my gardening so I don't notice. I guess my 'projects' are just different than his are. Now that you mention it, sometimes he does say that he has a lot to do...hmmm.