Monday, January 4, 2010

Snow, Snow, Go AWAY!!

I am definitely missing my Southern weather right now. I know that you guys are chilly too but at least it isn't normal for it to be that cold there so you have hope of it leaving sometime soon. Everyone here just says we are just getting started and there are no HIGHs higher than 22 this week....before windchill.

I never knew, before I moved, that there were so many kinds of snow (sorry for those of you that have always lived with snow and think I am nuts). Last night Craig said that he thought if it snowed today it would be a dry snow. I just sort of looked and him with my 'confused' look as he calls it. Snow is water, right? How can water be dry? Well, today I learned. Apparently when you get dry snow it is the kind that is good to ski on and the kind that likes to blow around. It is also very slick. Good times. On the days when we have 'wet snow' it apparently just rolls right up into a snowman and you feel more like you are walking on chunks of ice rather than a ski slope or ice skating rink. It is weird to drive on dry snow because you can hear your tires making noises and stuff. Wet snow seems more like hard slush.

Luckily, with my new organized self, I have managed to not have to go out in the snow that much. The exception I made today was to go to my spin class at the gym. I was proud of myself for going because it could have been really easy to just stay at home and snuggle with my kitties or Craig. Yay me. Of course tonight I found out that they are going to start charging $1 per class in Feb for us to take the classes...what a ripoff. I don't think that it is fair that they can just change stuff like that on us. When I signed up it included all classes....I am sure there is small print to protect them...damn lawyers (kidding Morgan). I am sort of interested to see how it is going to work and how long it will last. I will stick with my spin classes but I will have to rethink some other ones...sucks because I like classes but I guess I will just have to learn how to work out on my own because 4-5 classes a week is an extra $20 a month! Needless to say..when my contract is up (next year :-() I will be switching to a gym that has everything included (and one my one friend here goes to so we could at least work out together). I would cancel now but I have to pay the rest of the membership in order to cancel so it isn't really worth it.

Other steps I took to stay organized:
--made a menu for the next 10-14 days and really only need to get a few items to have everything that I need. Hopefully this will help us to clean out the fridge and freezer and use up some of the food that might have gone bad if I didn't do this. I am going to try to do a rolling one, so now that I have cooked two of my meals, I need to add two to the end.
--made a list of projects that I have been wanting to complete...I did this awhile ago but then it got away from me again. They include but are not limited to: completing Ariyana's first year book (yes, she is 2), finish my new website and launch it, get the blog part of the photography website going, finish my fan page on FB for my photography biz (started it months ago but never finished it), finish my first quilt, actually go through all of my vacation pictures for the last 3 vacations (3!!!), and take more pictures per week that are not business related (am going to participate in a website that does them once a week (thanks Zane).
--clipped coupons and organized it all in a binder, made a list for each store I need to attend and am going to wait until a day in the week where I can hit all the stores for their sales (our Kroger resets on Tues, everyone else on Sun).
--downloaded a spreadsheet to track all my savings on groceries
--made a budget that we are going to stick to!!
--set up weekly tasks for certain days so they would become routine :-)

It has only been a few days but I already feel a lot less stressed out. I know what I am making every night for dinner, have leftovers for lunch, my room is clean, and I don't have to run a million little errands. I find that I have a lot more time already. I hope that I can apply that to some of my projects. I will try to get together a complete list of all of my projects and list them one day here so I can tick them off as I go.

1 comment:

Drena said...

I think I may try to hit some of the sales quicker next week. I went to CVS tonight and they were out of one of the items I was planning to get that had ECB. I passed another on my way home and stopped, but they too were out. Just wanted to warn ya.