Thursday, January 21, 2010

Volunteering

Tonight I start my first night as a volunteer with a program called Food Folks. For those of you that have read my other blog, you know that I have become a little obsessed with healthy eating and knowing where my food comes from. I ordered 1/4 of a cow for goodness sake! Well, the DG here that I have met up with a couple of times is a dietician at an old people's home (no disrespect intended) and she was a volunteer with this program while in college. I might have explained it before but I am too lazy to look back and see. Basically it is an hour program that parents sign their children up for (assuming it is free and I know not in the best area, though not dangerous or anything) and they go every Thursday for an hour. During that hour we teach them about proper nutrition, do some sort of project with them about what they learned (think coloring or word find or something) and then we prepare a healthy snack with them. I am pretty excited about getting involved because childhood obesity is a huge problem in our country and it is mostly in poor families where the parents are not properly educated about food choices and therefore, the children aren't either. I know that 10 year olds can't grocery shop but chances are they will be contributing to that as soon as they are physically able to get to the stores and hopefully we will be able to help just a couple kids. I also feel like it will be a good way to meet people maybe....we will see. win-win.

The other night I posted on FB that I was not having a good night (and I wasn't) and it was amazing how many people emailed me or contacted me to see if I was ok. I didn't mean to scare people, it really wasn't a big deal just one of those things that you post in the moment. I did feel really loved though :-)

Organizing is still going well. I have to tackle 'my' room this weekend. It is really the guest room but it is also where all the mail of mine piles up and stuff so I need to clean it out. I am happy to report that everything I have organized/cleaned has stayed that way. Go me!

No comments: