Sunday, January 2, 2011

Month One: Eating Health

I think that I have finalized my 12 things that I am going to work on for my happiness project but I don't want to share them quite yet because I think that I might change a few or maybe even work on two things in one month (one of the ones I have on my list is friendships and I am pretty sure I could work on that one while working on another thing....I also have communication which will include blogging more and I feel like I am already starting on that one too.) I will post a list of what I have by the end of the week so you guys can help me figure out some more.

Anyway, month 1 will be focused on eating healthy and I have set up the following guidelines to help me achieve this:
1. Drink 8 glasses of water a day (I can't believe that this is one of my items but I realized that there are some days where I will pour a glass of water in the am and it will still be full in the evening...0 water?? Ridiculous when I used to drink 10 glasses a day.) I don't think anyone will deny the health benefits of drinking water so I want to get back to it.
2. No more than one soda a day and no refills at restaurants. This one isn't that bad but I figure if I am not drinking water then I must be drinking something...diet coke seems to be the only other thing other than milk in my latte each morning...hopefully if I cut it out then I will be able to reach my water goal easier.
3. Eat at least 5 fruits/veggies a day. I think that this is something that I am a lot better at when it is summertime and everything is so fresh but I need to find a way to do it year round. It isn't like I don't eat any veggies because I do currently eat about 3 servings a day but I would like to get to the 5 that are recommended.
4. Take vitamins. Originally I had this as a multi-vitamin but I don't know if that is what I am going to do or if I am going to pick specific ones to take...do any of you take vitamins and if so, which ones and do you feel like you can tell a difference? I also think I have to be careful of when I take vitamins...they make me naseous without food and I am pretty sure there are some that will affect the absorption of my thyroid meds (Erin?)
5. Track what I eat. This falls right in line with WW so it should be a no brainer. Many studies have shown that people eat healthier when they have to write it all down. I have had a bad habit in the past of just writing down meals and not keeping track of all the snacking. That is about the worst thing to do since meals are not what normally cause people to gain weight..it is the snacking and little bites here and there. SO, I am going to commit to writing EVERYTHING down for Jan...I am hoping it will curb the snacking a bit and I will have less to write down in the next month.

Now, I am off to watch the Packers (hoping they do better than the Dawgs and Wisconsin this weekend). We took down our tree and cleaned the whole house this morning so I am ready for a break.

3 comments:

Drena said...

I take a multi vitamin and a couple fish oil pills. Done this for several years.

I take them at night b/c I don't like to burp them. Probably not ideal since I don't drink them with a full glass of water, but this works best for me.

m said...

May try this happiness project. You are the second person to mention it lately and the reviews look pretty good on amazon. Quick read?

Mel said...

@drena- eewww, I remember burping them...yuck!

@meghan - yes, I would consider it a quick read. If I am being honest then I am not in love with the way she writes (sort of long sentences with awkward transitions) but I do really like her ideas. She also has a blog that I know Drena said she reads and I think that I will add to my blog roll. I think that a part of her really reminds me of myself so I identify with it (I even do the awkward sentences but then don't like when others do it..weird). All in all, I think that it is worth reading because I think that it gets you thinking and motivated and I think that was all I really needed.