Sunday, January 16, 2011

Rock and Rol Half Marathon

I just finished a few hours ago and I am all showered, had a few beers and ready to relax :-). This race was a good one for me. I didn't do better than my Air Force time but I did feel much better this time. I find that so strange since I basically had the same time but I felt so ready for the last one and wasn't so sure about this one because I only ran 1 time outdoors and it went horribly. I think that drinking more water helped a lot! I always seem to learn a lesson at each half that I do. Last time I learned to drink early because by the time you feel thirsty there is no way you can drink enough to get rid of the thirst. This race I learned that how you train is definitely how you run the race. Running on the treadmill for long runs is so boring that I think I broke it up by walking....today I fou d myself walking at times that I didn't really need to. I think that I was so used to breaking up boredom with walking breaks that I felt like I should still do it. I would find myself walking when I didnt need to. I have decided that for the next one I am not going to walk in training...I will run slow but I will not walk. I might try to break it up by sprinting (though I am not sure I will look forward that as much as my walking breaks). I know I can finish them now..I have done 2 in 4 months...now I need to work on the speed...and hills. There were not a lot of hills in this race but there are some in the Air Force one and in the one in Cinci that I am doing next :-). Luckily I live in a hilly neighborhood.

I just love the feeling when you are done!! My friend Rachel got a PR at 2:05!!!!! Awesome! My fastest ever was 2:10 and I would love to ge back there....one day :-)

2 comments:

Drena said...

Good job!

Zane Hollingsworth said...

Congrats. I've been training using a run/walk method. I run about a 7:30 pace mile for 4 minutes, then walk for 1 minute. Ends up being about a 8:30 pace overall. Interested to see how I hold up on a real run...