Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Kitty Drama

Ugh....so, last night Craig was commenting on how cute it was that Mu (his cat) was cleaning Chloe...then all of a sudden Chloe was on the floor in a crouch position wiggling her butt in the air. Craig kept asking her what was wrong because she seemed to just collapse and then after several mintues of making sure her paws were working (cause she wouldn't stand on them) he said she wasn't hurt (she jumps all over so it was very possible that she would hurt herself) and said he thought that it might be something sexual....so we get to researching (as Craig put the kitties in different rooms because Mu is not fixed since he never goes outside and hasn't ever showed any interest and is not aggressive) and sure enough, Chloe was showing signs of being in heat. We think that Mu wasn't cleaning her but was biting the back of her neck all National Geographic style. GREAT, one more thing that I need to figure out.....when we got her 2 weeks ago they said she was "around" 4 months...and cats don't normally go into heat until about 6 months on the early end (at least from our research) so I guess she was a little older than they guessed. The worse part is keeping them separated after they were such good friends, but I can't have Chloe preggo....so I called the vet literally as soon as they opened today and next Tuesday was the earliest appointment they had...a week of cats in separate rooms? So I asked Craig to ask one of his friends who doesn't use the same vet who she used and called them. They require a pre-visit and then will schedule the surgery so Craig has to take her in tomorrow for her pre-visit to establish her as a patient and then she can have her surgery on Friday. Now that I type it, it doesn't sound like that big of a deal but it was a couple hours today of us trying to coordinate it all. And, my poor little kitty is going to have to spend two nights at the vet (they said she can stay tomorrow after her appointment instead of going home at 4 just to come back at 8am) and I won't even be there to take care of her when she gets out. Craig has never had a girl kitty so he was asking me about stitches and all that...I have no idea what to tell him. I know he will take good care of her, but I do wish that I could cuddle with her when she gets home.

4 comments:

Carrie Davis said...

Aww, poor kitty. I've never had a cat for more than a couple of weeks, so not sure what to tell you about the stitches...

Mollypants said...

your cat is a SKANK! Hope you don't have to take her to Planned Kittenhood.

Kidding :) I'd offer to help ya out, but...I'm a) allergic, b) out of town starting Sunday c) way far away from Ohio and d) there's stray cats everywhere that would get to her.

I do know that when my friend's dog goes into heat, she takes the boy dog to the kennel/doggie hotel...they're brother and sister (they breed them, but obviously not with each other) and dogs don't really care about that whole thing - EW! They take the boy in case the other dogs get to the girl in the kennel. It's only like $10 a day for a dog, and I'm almost positive it's dirt cheap for a cat.

PS - why doesn't he get his cat fixed too? Remember Bob Barker says "always spay or neuter your pet"!

Mel said...

I don't have a skank kitty :-( It is weird though how she did that by instinct....

She is going to the vet tomorrow so Craig just has to keep them apart tonight and then she will be fixed.

Not sure why he doesn't get his kitty fixed, he is old and just didn't ever go outside, wasn't around other kitties that he could get preggo, and never showed any aggression. It isn't like he is against it because his dog was neutered, I just think that he never thought about it or thought that there was a need.

Rebecca said...

It's been a long time since I've had a girl cat that was fixed so I can't tell you anything about that either. Glad she is OK though - other than trying to get some action!