Saturday, March 28, 2009

Soccer and Snow

NO, it is not snowing...but it is drizzling and it is supposed to get down to 31 tonight so add the two together and I could see snow, right?

Today I got up and came home to get some unpacking done...I did a pretty good job and my "office" is almost done now, and my bathroom is done...next will be the closet in my bedroom. I also went for a run today (day two this week) and then found this cool website where you can type in your route using a map (after you register for the free membership) and it will tell you how far you have run and it even saves it. I am one of those obsessive people who has to know how far they run..I always use my car to clock it but this tool is way more practical. I ran a little over 2 miles today and I felt pretty good. Since I am just getting back into it I decided to run for 5 mins and then walk 1 min and then start running again. There were a couple parts that were uphill but other than that I didn't really get that tired...it made me excited.

After all of that we went to a Crew game. They are the professional soccer team here (the league that Beckam plays in here in the US). They were actually the national champions last year. I got us season tickets to give to Craig for his birthday. We had awesome 7th row seats so I can't wait for Becks to get here...not until September though. I have to say, I am not one for watching soccer on TV really but I did enjoy going to the game and seeing it in person. Those fans are nuts!!! Both sides (we were playing Toronto) had these sections which reminded me of a student section at a football game. They would chant and bounce the whole game! And, every time the keeper (I was informed today that it is only called goalie when you are like 6) from the other team would get the ball to kick back the "club" would shout in unison "you suck asshole". It was just like when we call the dawgs at kick off...they would go 'OOOOOOHHHHHH (until he kicked the ball), YOU SUCK ASSHOLE" It cracked me up! They also have cheerleaders for soccer...what the heck?? They were in one of the endzones on a stage and you couldn't hear them over the chanting so I am not sure what their purpose was. The other thing that was funny/weird to me was that the Toronto fans kept letting streamers go that would go onto the field and tangle players, yet no one said a word and the game didn't even slow down. They also decided toward the end of the game that it would be cool to light flares/smoke bombs in their section and throw them on the field....again, the game didn't even slow...there was just a guy who would jump over the fence, run on the field and then get it and jump right back over. Can you imagine what would have happened if that had occurred at a UGA game? Those people would have been gone. I did take my camera to practice my natural light and sports photography so I will post some pictures later when I have the energy to get my camera back out.

On the way home we were driving down the roads in Columbus and were on the OSU campus. I noticed a sorority house on the street we were on and then two blocks later I saw the DG house :-) They had a purple anchor...so funny. We were sitting at a light and I had already looked for the house on the last block and was trying to explain to Craig what the letters looked like so he could look too and then I said "they will have an anchor" and right as I said it I saw the purple anchor...funny.

I think that I am headed to bed. Tomorrow is a crafty day for me (if there is no ice on the roads). I am excited!

1 comment:

Drena said...

u could go to EO too for a photo opp!

glad u had a good day! :)