Monday, April 27, 2009

Farmer I am not....

It was a long couple days after my last post. I had a horrible cold and then had to fly with it...that is painful in case you have never done it. By the time I got home on Friday night I was wiped out. Craig called when I was on the way home from the airport (after my 40 min delay from Atlanta) and said he would meet me at my place. How sweet. I get there, get a hug and get my stuff to take it upstairs and literally the next thing that he says to me is "if you want to get that fence for your garden tonight then we need to go soon". Seriously? I just spent 8 hours traveling while sick. Can I have a minute?? I was kind of annoyed cause I just wanted sympathy but he was right...we needed to get it. So, after a brief rest we packed me some clothes for Saturday and went to Home Depot, which didn't have what I needed so then we had to go to Lowe's. By the time we got that all done I was REALLY exhausted! Once we got to Craig's though he went into his taking care of me mode and it was really nice.

Saturday I woke up feeling better but not 100% I was sort of annoyed that I even got sick in the first place. I have started taking Vitamin C and I take it every day and haven't been sick in the 6 months since I started. This was the day that I had to go to the Ohio DMV to get my new license so I could register my car in Ohio (and only pay $35 as opposed to $300). I get to the place (in the ghetto) and there are two different offices. There is the title office and the driver's license/tag/license plate office. So, I go into the driver's license one and they say I have to take a written test....what? I mean I know street signs and stuff but I don't know specific Ohio laws. Luckily you only have to get a 75% and I was able to do that. Sweet, now to the driver's license line.....get my picture done, blah, blah, blah (my picture it HORRIBLE cause they use the crappiest camera EVER). Then I have to go and tell the old lady that I need my car inspected (which is $3.50 for them to walk out to your car and look at your VIN and mileage). Then I have to go to the title line to get my title changed over to Ohio and then I have to go back to the first office to get my tag and license. UGH. It took a little over an hour, which isn't bad for a Saturday and considering I had to literally get in all 4 lines they had available but still, it sucked. After that I was going to get some things done around my place but Craig called and said he needed help with the fence (and some lunch) so I headed over there. Turns out that he had half the fence done by the time I got there...grrr, wasted trip, so we ate and then I went to the craft store until it was time to leave for the soccer game.

Yesterday we got a late start but I needed the sleep and then after another trip to Home Depot we took all my plants over to Craig's so I could plant them in the ground. It took my FOREVER (3.5 hours) to get it all planted. I am not too confident in the plants surviving because while I was gone they got a little dried out and some of them were fragile :-( I am not sure how it works if the stems break a little...I know some plants you prune so it would be ok but then others I think would die. We will see. This afternoon I am going to go and plant some seeds in the space that is still available and we will see how they do.

Other than that, nothing super exciting but the weekend sure did go by fast!!

3 comments:

Drena said...

that sounds like hard work. hopefully it will be worth it. hope you are better too.

m said...

So fun! What are you all planting again? We got started a few weeks ago and have only had one baby tomato plant eaten (not sure if it was rabbit or squirrel). So far so good!

Mel said...

well, I planted green beans, snap peas, regular peas, carrots, zucchini, and two artichokes and two pumpkins. I also had planted some lettuce but it didn't really do well so I am going to start that again. I would have had to take every single sprout that I had to make a 1/4 cup salad...gonna try again :-) I don't do tomatos because neither Craig nor I like them...though I do like stuff made with tomatos :)