Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Updates...

I haven't posted in a few days, which for me is unusual, but I was trying to wait until I had pictures. Since I might not have them for a few more days I figured I would post.

Birthday was good. I got cards at my new address, which is always fun. The only thing I got before this was bills so that made me smile. Craig and I played it pretty low key. We went to Best Buy to get me a new phone cause my old one sucked, went and had Mexican, and then he went to walk his friend's dog. Please don't be jealous :-) It was a good birthday, just sort of anti-climatic for me...you guys know I like to have a party and since I don't know anyone there, that wasn't happening. Oh well...it was a nasty rainy day anyway, plus, I have many more birthdays to come.

Craig got me a sewing machine for my birthday. I had been researching them and really wanted to get one. I know how to sew a bit. I borrowed Drena's a few years back to make my sorority t-shirt quilt and I made a dress using my mom's when I was younger. Of course it was when I was like 13 so it was in the nice 80s fashion and I ended up picking fabric that I thought was pretty without really paying attention to the fact that it was see through, so I never got to wear it. I never really properly learned and most of my stitches were sort of crooked. I sort of like that fact with my t-shirt quilt because it definitely looks handmade, but I am ready to move on! So, on Saturday before our little adventure, I drug poor Craig to Joann's and signed up for 3 classes. I signed up for sewing 101 where I hope they will teach me the right way to do all the basics. I want to learn all those things that moms and grandmas just know how to do...my mom can sew anything and I want to learn too. I know I won't learn all that in the first class, but I should get started. The second class, appropriately named sewing 102 is where I will be making an apron...ooooohhhhh, aaaahhhh :-) The third class is the most challenging and will be the baby quilt...so maybe whoever pops a kid out next will get the lovely fruit of my labors in this class :-) Last week Joann's had some patterns on sale for $.99 that are normally in the $12-14 range so I picked up a couple. I have decided that I can't wait until May 11th (the fact that I got it at 10pm on Friday and it is still in its box is killing me as it is), my first attempt will be a burp cloth. I have cut out the fabric in the pattern shape and next comes the terry cloth and then I sew it together. Sounds simple, huh? We will see. Unfortunately, I don't get into Ohio until 8pm on Sunday and then I have to leave again 7am on Monday so it will have to wait until the following weekend. I promise to post pictures.

My garden is nuts. It has taken over my apartment!! I took some pictures on Saturday and will post those soon too. I meant to take some yesterday but with work, taking Chloe in for her last shot, and Craig's birthday, I didn't have time. They are huge now and they also have to wait until the next weekend before they get attention.

I contacted my DG person here in the alumnae group to see what was up. She is sort of slow on email sometimes but they are basically having their last meeting next week until the fall, so I will have to wait until then. She did give me the email of a girl that she said "was more my age and was active" so I emailed her to see if she wanted to get some coffee sometime. I feel like I am setting myself up on a blind date....so weird, but we will see.

Finally, the photo trip. It was fun and we had a good time. Saturday wasn't my favorite, we got a late start and then Craig sort of had these grand ideas that it would only take us an hour to get here or there and it always took longer. We also didn't see that many sites so we were just in the car a lot and I think that I only took about 5 pictures :-( Sunday was really fun though, we visited an area called Hocking Hills and we hiked around a bit and saw caves and waterfalls and such. I liked that day much better because I got out and took pictures and we were moving and stuff. I will post those pictures later. After that we finished up with a visit to my aunt's house for Easter. Yesterday was Craig's birthday and now I am back in Atlanta (after getting up at 4:30am) and looking forward to dinner with Erin and Drena tonight :-)

5 comments:

Rebecca said...

Someone did that to me one time - a DG from out of state somewhere emailed me to see if I wanted to have lunch sometime because she had just moved here and was trying to meet people (not sure how she came across me...). I met her for lunch and that was the last time. We had absolutely NOTHING in common. She was nice enough, but she did not have kids and was not interested in having kids, so I felt funny talking about Zachary. I seem to recall she wasn't really interested in college football either...it was weird. So I hope that your "date" goes better than mine did! :)

Mollypants said...

I met one of my dearest friends, Ansley, because she emailed me because she saw my name on a mailout to new people in Philly for DG (she was a DG at Miami). Neither of us could make it to the initial get-together and she just randomly emailed me. Anyway, I had a great experience - hope yours goes as well!

Carrie Davis said...

i've always wanted to learn to sew - I have a really old machine, and made curtains once - that was it for me. Going to the Dogwood Festival while you're here?

Mel said...

Yeah, I am pretty darn excited about the sewing and learning how to do it the right way. Hopefully it will help me to be better.....I can't wait to try my burb cloth and wish that I didn't have to wait so long!!

I hope that my DG experience is a good one, if she ever emails me back. I do worry that we might not have anything in common. I do know that she is an elementary school counselor but that is all that I know.

m said...

Good with meeting our DG friend! She could be on spring break or something and maybe that is why she has been slow to respond.