Thursday, October 30, 2008

Gravy Recipe

Ok, you can tell that I am trying to not do any work today (not on purpose, I just don't like what I am doing so I am procrastinating...what I should do it get it done so I can move on to the project I like).

So, last Thanksgiving I cooked the meal for Craig and I and I did a good job on everything but the gravy...this stuff baffles me and I couldn't get it right AT ALL. So, all you fine cooks out there...what are your gravy secrets? I don't eat the stuff so I don't know how to do it and I can honestly say that it is the only thing that I have ever tried to make that didn't turn out...we ended up with what I termed "gravy jelly" ew! It was working for a little while in the pan as I was stirring but then something went terribly wrong. Please help!

6 comments:

Rebecca said...

Here's my gravy recipe:
Buy one jar of Campbell's turkey gravy. Done.

It's so easy! I don't eat gravy either, so I don't even try. I do at least heat it up on the stove and put it in the gravy boat, but other than that, I put NO effort into gravy.

Mel said...

I didn't even know they had that...hmmm, Craig doesn't really come into the kitchen so I am sure he wouldn't know....

Erin H. said...

I made homeade gravy a few weeks ago. I finely chopped carrots, celery, and onion. Sauteed for 9 minutes in butter until they were really soft and brown. Added some flour and more butter, sauteed for a few minutes, then added a can of beef broth. Let it simmer for 15 minutes, strain it, and poof, brown gravy. You can also make it ahead of time and freeze or refrigerate. Let me know if you want the exact recipe. . .

m said...

Mine is very hit or miss. May need Erin's recipe though. That sounds pretty good!

Mel said...

yeah, that does sound good Erin, would you mind sending me the real recipe? I loved the chicken salad one I got from you a long time ago.

Mollypants said...

My gravy recipe:
Open drawer containing phone book. Locate nearest takeout restaurant. Call said restaurant. Order gravy. If you're nice, they'll even deliver.
Remember Eatzi's? I used to take them my serving dishes and they would put their food on my china. That's what I call outsourcing!