Thursday, October 16, 2008

My Picture Show

I all the craziness of the weekend, I forgot to post about my picture being in the Showcase exhibit. I wasn't really sure how this would go down but my mom wanted to go to the reception and Terah Kinser Defore was in town (also very into photography) so we were all going to go to the show. I wasn't sure how many people would be there because it was the first time they have done it. I know it sounds weird but I felt a little embarassed or something...not of having a picture there but of being there. I don't know. Anyway, my mom and I went to dinner with Terah, her mom, her mom's friend Nina and little John :-) Afterwards my mom and went to the show and Terah was going to meet us there. They were supposed to give out ribbons and awards at 8 and I thought that would sort of be neat to see. We got there a few minutes before 8 and there were a ton of people there. There was also no formal awards ceremony of any sort. All the pictures just had numbers underneath them and when you came in you got a piece of paper that had the name of the picture, artist name, and price. That was cool for that night but then no one else who ever goes there will know that it was my picture (or anyone else's). On the sheet of paper they had highlighted the winners and hung ribbons on the picture itself. They also had nametags for the photographers to wear. My mom handed me mine and then I just sort of held onto it for a while. Finally I saw that a lot of the other photographers were wearing theirs so I put mine on. Abou 2 mins later we were looking near my picture and this guy came up to me and wanted to know where my picture was taken. He wanted to guess so he was saying places like Kansas and Oklahoma and surrounding states. I finally said "nope, South Dakota in the Badlands" then he asked if that was the Rockies in the background...I didn't think so because I didn't remember seeing those when we were out there but I was so thrown by the fact that I am not good at geography sometimes that I wasn't sure. Then I looked closer and realized that it was just the Badlands as I was leaving the park. It is funny to me how they analyze it. A little while later he was with a friend and asking the friend to guess where it was and then we went through the whole thing all over again :-) We didn't stay that long because there wasn't that much to do other than snack (we had just eaten) or look at the pictures but that didn't take that long. Terah brought her camera and since this was the first time I had a picture displayed anywhere, we did take a picture with the name of the show..only after we had seen about 10 other people do it...here it is.



Oh and we were there when the winner "best in show" got there and she was later I guess than she thought and knew a lot of people there...and when she saw her picture with the ribbon she SCREAMED "oh my gosh, I got best in show" Everyone turned around and looked and it was sort of funny because it was nice to see that she wasn't someone who expected to win but was genuinely happy to get a prize.



Here is the picture of Terah and I:

4 comments:

Drena said...

You're a star!

m said...

Wow. Good job, Melissa!

Mel said...

thanks guys :-) You are so supportive! I appreciate it!

Carrie Davis said...

I sat in the class last night and looked at your picture :) Very cool!!