Monday, October 27, 2008

very sad about my film!

So I just realized today that I made a HUGE mistake on my trip...I put my film in my checked bag. In my defense, it has been 7 years since I have traveled with film....7 years!! and I just totally didn't even think about it. I even have one of those lead bags that you use to protect it...got it out and was going to use it but then after I put all that camera equipment in my carry-on, it was so heavy that I decided to leave the lead (and heavy) bag at home. That would have saved it all! It also didn't fit all the film so I didn't want to use it. UGH, I could kick myself now. I knew that I had seen signs in the airport a 1,000 (literally) times that said that the x-rays would not ruin your film if it was under ISO800 (which all mine was) so I just assumed that it was the same for the checked baggage...wrong...apparently for those bags they use some high powered explosive detection x-ray that is horrible for film. I am so mad at myself that I can't even put into words how disappointed I am. First off, I didn't even take any digital photos at some places and secondly, I taught Craig how to use the camera and now I might have ruined his pictures too...of course he only took like 13 and took digital ones of the same things but still...I feel horrible. My only hope is that somehow the cellophane wrapper and the fact that it was deep in my suitcase and not hit directly will save it and it will be ok. Unfortunately, everywhere I look online has mixed stories but Kodak and TSA both say that it will pretty much ruin it.....all their examples are at a higher ISO than what I used so I will hold onto hope. I dropped them off at the lab this morning and the girl said they would call if the film looked funny....and nothing yet, but who knows if they have even gotten to it yet. Everyone please say a little prayer for my film and for those of you who might have made this stupid mistake recently (which could only be a few of you) and had your film turn out ok, please let me know.....no negative stories! I already know that Craig had all his Australia film ruined a few years back so I know my chances aren't good :-( (though he has tried to convince me that I will be one of the lucky ones).

No comments: