Monday, December 15, 2008

I didn't know I was pregnant....

NO, NOT ME!! I AM NOT PREGNANT, but I am sure that I got everyone's attention!



I was watching this show last night because there wasn't much on and I was just flipping through the channels and saw the name and was intrigued. Sure enough, it is a show about exactly what the title suggests...women who are pregnant and didn't know it until they had a baby. I have never been pregnant but from listening to my friends, I just don't see how it is possible that you wouldn't know anything. I only watched two of the little stories (they are done in Rescue 911 style if any of you ever watched that show...complete with the bad acting and "dramatizations"). The first story was of a lady who was 42 and was still having periods but irregularly and thought she was going through menopause. She didn't really gain weight and had no cravings or anything else. She also had a tilted uterus so anytime the baby kicked it would hit her bladder and she would just feel like she had to pee. Her story I could SORT of see...but the thing was that she had a child already so she knew what pregnancy felt like and when she went into labor she didn't know what was wrong....she was on the bathroom floor in pain when her husband realized he saw a baby head..WHAT?????

The second one was an obese lady who thought she couldn't get pregnant because she had high blood pressure, was obese and because of the two wasn't having a period. She went off the pill because she couldn't get pregnant and then she went on a crash diet to lose weight and lower her blood pressure and lost 30 pounds. The "doctor" on the show (not sure if she was a real doctor but I am sure what she said was true) said that the weight loss was probably enough for her to ovulate and then she got preggers. The thing with this girl was that she had the morning sickness and some other symptoms you would think are typical (ie, I have heard of them). I guess she never went to the doctor because they first thing they would have done was give her a pregnancy test. I had a stomach virus once that literally lasted 3 months on and off and they must have tested me 14 times even though at the time there was no possible way I was preggers. I know that the people who I know who have had morning sickness didn't just have it for 3 or 5 days, but more like 3-6 weeks.....I would think that if you were sick that long you would be worried that it wasn't your standard tummy virus. Guess not. She ended up "going into labor" in the middle of the night and when she got to the ER they told her she was pregnant. They were trying to figure out how far along she was when they left the room and she felt like she had to go to the bathroom. She goes in there and says she felt something leave her body and it felt like it ripped from it. She still had no idea...but she was in such pain from, I guess what she thought was a massive poop, that she called the nurse at which time they came in and found a baby in the toilet....floating around with the umbilical cord already detached. I don't get that one. Even if you thought it was just poop, wouldn't you look in the toilet to see why the hell it was so painful.....or for blood or something? I would have...not to be graphic but damn. They rushed her out and the doctors were getting the baby. Since the show takes so long because it has all those dramatic pauses for commercial and since the thought of a baby floating in a toilet made me nauseous, I changed the channel. It just amazed me that these people went full term like that!

Anyway, I figured that since Drena went into labor today, I would dedicate this post to her and Oliver...thank goodness she knew she was pregnant!

FYI, we were texting a few hours ago but I just sent her one and haven't heard back....could mean that things have progressed. A couple hours ago her water was broken and she had the IV in. I am sure she has more important things to handle now......hopefully we will all see pictures of Oliver soon!!

2 comments:

Mollypants said...

My old roommate is an ER nurse and she says she gets women like that ALL the time. I have no idea how that would happen. I do know that women who would be classified as "obese" actually LOSE weight during pregnancy, which shocks me. I also know of a girl from my hometown that managed to hide her pregnancy from her mother until she gave birth. Keep in mind, the girl was SIXTEEN and TINY. A cheerleader and everything. Her mother (who was, in my opinion, probably just burying her head in the sand and refusing to accept the situation) said she thought she was "just gaining some weight." Note to self: if periods stop, hunger increases, confusion sets in and/or wicked "kick-like" indigestion sets in, buy an EPT test.
Oh, and one more thing - I HAVE heard that the pregnancy hormone that the pee test detects CAN turn up negative when you're in your 2nd trimester because it rapidly increases and then plummets when the body adjusts itself to the pregnancy.
Whatever though - I'd imagine I'd KNOW if I were pregnant.

Rebecca said...

I totally do not get that either. Especially the one who already had a child and therefore knew what it was like to be pregnant. Seriously - these are the types of people who really should NOT be having babies...