Tuesday, December 16, 2008

The Ohio Discussion....

Today when I was walking back and forth in front of my boss's office she asked if I would be available in 15 mins. "um, sure" (this was 5:15 and I could see the year end eval sheet on her desk). Crap, it was time for my long awaited discussion about moving to Ohio and I wasn't really prepared. After about 30 mins she called me in there and told me to close the door. She went over everything, which was basically that she was really happy with what I had done with a department that I started from scratch. She was glad that we were as far as we were and all that jazz. She went through it all and then asked if I had any questions. I told her not really but that I did want to talk about the Ohio move. She said she knew that we were going to have this conversation and wondered what my Christmas present was going to be (I assured her that it was not going to be a diamond). She said she was very open to it and she appreciated my honesty from the beginning because my name has been mentioned for some projects and she said no to it because she knew I wanted to move (which is fine by me because, despite my complaining sometimes, I actually enjoy my job and feel like I make a difference and I didn't want to be on any of the projects she was talking about anyway). She said that her one concern was that I wouldn't get face time with the big wigs if I was not in Atlanta. I get that but in all reality, until the economy went in the tanker, I was gone about 70% of the time and most people sit at least 2 floors above me...I don't ever see them anyway. I see them on the road at conferences and they invite me to ride on the Corporate jet, but I don't hang out with them in the office. She said that she wasn't sure what my 5 or 10 year plan is but she thinks that I could go really far (I think that my no bs attitude serves me well at my job.....I don't take bs and I don't give it. I will tell people when I think that they are not doing what they should or are doing it wrong and I will be honest with people even if it is not what they want to hear and the thing is, I usually know what I am talking about.). I am not meaning to brag on myself but I am pretty good at what I do right now....I won't say I was the best auditor but I will say that the job I have now is exactly up my alley. Anyway, so she was thinking that it might be a good idea for me to have time in Atlanta....um, sold!! So, it sort of seems like I am going to get my cake and eat it too....I will get to move to Ohio to be with Craig, but I will probably be back at least once a month to get face time in Atlanta (and time with all you guys). It sort of seems too good to be true....but I like it! I told her that I was keeping my place here for now so I didn't mind being in Atlanta one week a month to get the face time and work on stuff here. Seems to work for me. I also didn't have the heart to tell her that in 5-10 years I probably want to have one or two kids and be a photographer. There was no need to mention that now because who really knows what will happen in life? I don't even know what I want. You have to also know that my boss has worked there for 20 years (though she probably started around the same age that I did) and she is the breadwinner in her family....her husband is a stay at home dad :-)

On a different note, I went and saw Drena, Adam and Oliver tonight. Oliver is adorable! He has Drena's lips and I think he will have her eye shape but the rest looks like Adam....he has a FULL head of the softest dark hair you have ever seen and his skin is so soft and pretty! He made the cutest faces and I held him for a while.....so cute. I hope that she lets me get some newborn pictures of him with all that hair...he is so cute and I would love to have him in my portfolio!! She will regret that offer to have him be a hat model :-) Did I mention he was cute?

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

I'm glad it went well!

Drena said...

Woohoo, ATL once a month! Thx for Oliver compliments....I think he is cute too, but I know I am biased.