Monday, December 1, 2008

Dayton Apartments

Many of you asked if I found an apartment that I liked, and instead of writing it several times, I decided to post it here. We went to 6 different apartment buildings and I narrowed it down to three. That is about as far as I got. I need some help on the rest, so I will present to you the pros and cons. You guys know me, so let me know what you think.

The Landing:
Pros: Cute old building, parking and water included in the rent, located downtown, my front door would be inside, secure, washer and dryer included, and it is the cheapest place

Cons: Smallest of the ones I am considering as far as square footage (about 860), downtown (I haven't decided if this is a pro or con yet...see below)

The Cannery:
Pros: super cute for anyone who is artistic ....one wall is brick from where there used to be different buildings...it is so cool and probably the main reason I want to live there, open floor plan with good windows and light...would be fun to try natural photography, is it above a cool bar (where Craig and I had our first date), walking distance to the baseball field for the minor league team there, spa on the premises, good square footage (1180)

Cons: downtown, the parking you have to pay an extra $75 a month for or take a chance on the street (she said that there isn't usually a problem), parking is located almost a block away...not only is that COLD, but not super smart maybe, no washer and dryer but hook-ups, not much closet space.


The Residenz: I just want to say that at first I didn't consider this place because it spelled the name all ghetto, but apparently it is really nice.
Pros: Near Lincoln Park (across the street), square footage good (about 1000, I like Floor plans d and e), quiet, could ride my bike to stores, LOTS of storage, closer to the highway for work (not by too much), closer to Craig (again, not by too much), parking is free and two feet from my door.

Cons: more apartment like, as opposed to condo...hard to explain the difference, not downtown, no washer and dryer, but hookups.

So, the downtown thing: I am not sure that I want to live downtown. I am pretty torn by it. I like downtown because I can walk to places but it is sort of the type of downtown where things are spread out and sometimes you have to walk through not as nice areas to get where you are going. There aren't any groceries down there, traffic could be bad and it would probably take longer to get to work. I just really like the fact that the places down there do not feel like cookie cutter apartments. It is more trendy and fun then the other place. The thing is, I live downtown now and it is fun and near a lot of stuff but it has really made me sacrafice with space and no one really likes to come down here and hang out now that Morgan has moved away. So, do I live downtown again because it is fun and artsy or do I live near the park? You should also know that Dayton has the most extensive bike trails of any place I have ever seen so I can ride my bike a lot of places without much trouble...therefore, being a little out of the city wouldn't be bad. It is also the kind of city that is sort of going through a renovation. Places close a lot and there are lots of empty store fronts right now but they have been doing some revitalizing and it will probably boom again. Craig didn't get to see the Landing but he liked the other two. I think that he is the same as me...thinks that the Cannery is really cool, but if I am being practical then the Residenz is probably the best option. UGH, so hard to decide....so, what do you guys think? I need some help and advice from people who know me!!!

4 comments:

Mollypants said...

You'll never get to live downtown when you;re married and with kids...do it now while you can. As someone who's done it, trust me - you'll never regret living downtown in a city. You're more likely to meet people your own age and lifestyle, you're more likely to save on gas and money, and really, trust me, the cold thing? Buy a jacket and a scarf. I did it in Boston and never REALLY missed it and that was the year after I lived in Atlanta. It's easier than you think, and you'll be really happy when you realize you're walking everywhere or when you realize you haven't moved your car in forever!

Mel said...

You make a good point. I will still have to drive to work every day though (35 miles but it will actually only take 35 mins!). I live downtown now (well, Midtown but it is like the downtown in more normal cities) so I know I like it. I just hate the space issue....hmmm. Gives me stuff to think about.

Meredith said...

Molly is definitely right. Though I never lived downtown Atlanta, I lived in Decatur and loved it... even though my apartment was as tiny as shoebox, it had a LOT of character and I miss it. However, you need to decide what features are most important to you. Do you need more space so that you can start your photography business up there? Do you need a washer and dryer? I'd think about those things and go from there. I don't know if that helps are not... Just some thoughts. :)

Mel said...

I hear you but I guess my thing is that I have lived downtown in a shoebox for 2.5 years so I struggle with whether I am over it or not. Or, maybe I should just get a bigger place downtown! Hmmmmm