Friday, December 19, 2008

Rough Photography Night!

Tonight I was going to one of my favorite client's house to do newborn shots of her baby that was born on the same day as Oliver. It didn't go as well as I would have liked. I feel like I was off tonight. I had packed everything up last night and put it all in my car and was all ready to go...until I got there. Then I realized that I had left my hot shoe adapter at home...I know, photographer lingo but basically it is the thingy that makes the strobes to flash and give me light. There is no natural light at 7pm in December. Luckily I had my little external flash with me and it is supposed to also make the strobes go off. It is not as effective though....plus you have the light from that flash in addition to the strobes oh and my strobes were acting funky from the flash. So basically I am in a house at 7pm with lights that will not work and a cute little baby to take pictures of. Sometimes the flash would go off, strobes would go off but the screen would be black...hmmm...that sucks. It was really embarassing and I felt absolutely horrible! I apologized over and over again and told her I would do another session for free and I would come back tomorrow and all that stuff. Finally the flash worked for a few and we got some cute pictures but just not the kind I like. They are not my style and not what I like my work to look like but they will serve the purpose until she has another session (which we are going to do in a few weeks when her parents are in town...she said she would pay and I said no she wouldn't!). I let her look at the pictures on my camera (which I never do because people can't envision the final product but I wanted to make sure that she liked at least one so she could use it for her announcement. I just was so upset. I called Craig as soon as I got in my car and I barely remember the 20 min ride home. He tried to tell me that I did everything that I could and that they said it wasn't a big deal so it probably isn't and I am doing a lot to make it up to her but it just upsets me. These guys are some of my most favorites so I hate that it happened to them. I hope that I can make it up to them somehow. There are a lot of "good" pictures, but they just aren't my style. I just hope that she likes some of them too.

So, tomorrow I am doing Oliver's pictures...I sure hope they go much better but at least I am doing those in the daytime and I came home and put that little thingy straight in my bag!! Sorry to vent but I am just disappointed....

Ok, off to see if I can find the good ones so I can send them to her tonight. Oh, and Drena, this was her second and she said it was super easy...4 pushes and she was out...she had a similar experience to yours on her first one so I thought you could appreciate that since it is fresh in your mind :-)

2 comments:

Mollypants said...

We all have them...but make yourself work with the photos from tonight a bit. I know it's a little bit of apples to oranges, but I have tons of things that I thought were complete wastes of supplies. Then I put it aside, came back a few days later, turned it upside down (literally - it makes you see colors independent of what your brain "says" they're "supposed" to be) and made myself at least find some sort of new technique and a way to salvage stuff. Keep at it and I'm sure you'll love the result - I found that things I was literally seconds away from throwing into the trash ended up selling for more than I asked for after I made myself figure SOMETHING out!
BTW, send me an email - I have been totally blog-stalking a photographer lately from near my hometown. I think you'd really like seeing it too...I love like every single photo they've done!

Drena said...

Sounds like that client is pretty laid back so don't worry about the mess up. Good to know #2 is much easier. I'll keep telling myself that.