Monday, May 18, 2009

Birdies and Sewing Class

Tonight was my second sewing class and we made an apron..not to brag or anything but I love mine :-) I think that my sewing skills are definitely improving and I can't wait to make some different little dresses for little girls now that I know some more tricks and trades :-) There were more people in my class this time so that was fun. They were an odd mix..there was this one lady who didn't look that old but kept complaining about hot flashes from "the change" and then there was a mother daughter team. The daughter was 16 and all over the place. She definitely had ADD. She didn't like to do the cutting, ironing or pinning, she just wanted to sew...um, ok. So her mom did the rest and then she would sew with the sewing machine on 90 mph. She kept getting it all caught up and stuff. It was entertaining but she also asked a million questions....and not of the instructor, just in general. It was a little old after 3 hours. At least I did get my apron done, but just barely....I think that I had 3 mins to spare. I will take a picture of it soon and post it. Also, the good news is that they had all taken the baby quilting class and said it was fun and Joann's put out a new flyer with new classes and there are two new sewing classes where you make stuff so I think that I might take those too. I really like having someone there telling me how to make it look professional and the other two classes will help round out my skills. Plus, they are having another "open house" where you get 50% so what is there to lose?

So, I was gone all last week and Craig watered my strawberries for me on Friday and when I went to look at them yesterday I noticed some straw like stuff in there sort of forming a circle. With all the posts about bird nests lately, I figured that was what it was....so my plan was to move it today. It didn't look like momma bird hadn't gotten far with construction and I didn't really have anywhere to put it yesterday. Well, today when I got home, I turned on the porch light and opened the door only to be staring at a big fat bird in my strawberry plant. CRAP. Looks like I will not be having anymore strawberries this year from that plant. I was telling Craig about it and how I might move it if there were no eggs but he got really upset and said that what if the momma bird didn't have time to build another nest and the eggs died....Ugh, nothing like a guilt trip. I guess I will let that plant go...it was not doing terribly well anyway and I planted some new strawberries on Sunday so oh well. I will try to get a picture of it tomorrow if momma bird isn't staring at me...and maybe even of the eggs if there are any....as long as I can get up there without touching it....we will see.

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

We have learned recently that apparently you can't do anything to stop a bird from making a nest where you don't want it to. And it's not even like if it's a bee's nest or something that you can spray it & not feel bad. I mean, it's a bird - how can you hurt a bird? I didn't necessarily want our front porch to become a maternity ward, but oh well. At least we don't have any plants she can eat. Hopefully your new plants will be OK & definitely take pictures if you see eggs. We were surprised to find eggs in our latest nest. No babies yet, that we can tell, but we also haven't been back up there. Wonder how long till they are supposed to hatch?