Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Memorial Day

It was sort of a whirlwind. I am back in the trailer today after working from home Thurs, Fri, and yesterday. It was sort of nice to not have to make the drive and the gas prices have really climbed here! it is over $2.65 now and it was about $1.85 when I moved here. It takes a tank of gas per week to get to and from work if I only come in for 4 days. Yikes. So, I have been working from home a bit.

So, sadly, Craig could not make the trip with us to Chicago because of his knee :-( I felt bad for him but we still went. It took us almost 6 hours to get there (we hit traffic and driving in Chicago proved to be quite crazy) and we discovered that Indiana is not really our type of state. We didn't do much but catch up with Jimmy on Friday night and get a good night's sleep for the rest of the weekend. On Saturday we got up and got ready to head to lunch at the Signature Room on the 95th floor of the Hancock Building. The views were amazing (and I will add in some pictures tonight). Then we headed to Navy Pier and walked around a bit. We had decided that we were going to do a riverboat tour of the architecture of the city so we bought those tickets and then headed to Millennium Park to see what I call the giant bean. It looks like the Elsa Peretti bean from Tiffany. After the park we went on our boat tour and then headed over near Northwestern University for some beer and deep dish pizza (parking in the city is a bitch and we had already spent about $30 on it so we didn't want to park again for pizza in the city).

Sunday we took it really easy. Jimmy lives in a place like Atlantic Station with lots of restaurants and stores and a movie theatre and stuff. There was this really good looking breakfast place and it was nice out so we went there and ate and then decided to go to the beach. Um, yeah, we got to the beach, learned why they call it the windy city, and couldn't believe that we were FREEZING Memorial Day weekend at the beach...crazy. We didn't last too long, it was seriously about 55 with the wind. After that we went back to get ready for the evening which involved a yummy Mexican restaurant, Adobo and then to Second City Comedy Club. This is where a lot of the SNL people get their start (there are some in other cities too). I am not sure that sketch comedy is really my thing at this talent level but some of it was really funny. Morgan and Jimmy laughed the entire time so maybe I just didn't get some of it.....

Monday we got up early (6:30am Chicago time) and drove back. The drive was shorter...we only stopped once for coffee and then we hit some HORRIBLE rain...seriously the hardest rain I have ever seen and it lasted for an hour and a half. Oh well. It was sunny in Ohio so we spent some time at the pool and then went to Craig's to grill out.

All in all it was a pretty relaxing weekend, even with all the driving, but I do sort of miss my weekend now. I only have one more before I go on vacation! I hope that Craig's knee heals by then. It seems to have good days and bad days so we aren't sure.

Last night I also started on my Mother/Daughter aprons so hopefully I will be able to post those soon :-)

1 comment:

Wood and Bembry LLC said...

Don't forget to email me pics when you add them! :)