Wednesday, September 24, 2008

GPS is foolproof, right?

Nope, not when you refuse to listen to the woman when she tells you to turn and then after you turn the wrong way you won't just follow her new directions and insist on making a U-turn even though you were going the way you eventually needed to go. This is how we went past our hotel about 3 times yesterday before we actually made it..and no, I was not driving!



The guy that is here from the Canada office got up this morning and walked by the water...I thought it would be freezing and I was tired so I stayed in bed but I went tonight. Most of the shops close sort of early but I walked around.

Tonight we ate at The Press Gang..it was good. The service was REALLY slow but the food was good. After a while I felt like we were intruding on some family reunion...this group of guys our age came in and from what I coudl tell they were in film school or something and they were all about wine and oysters. Then all these older 50 something guys came in and were buying up wine and cheese and stuff and they knew the younger guys so there was lots of handshaking and shoulder patting going on ...it was sort of funny..sort of like we were in the movie Skulls.

Oh, by the way..the news here is all about mortgage crisis too.....Canada supposedly might be worse off....and the guy I am working with said that he last job the owner hedged against the US dollar and when it went sour the guy lost his business....still owes the guy I work with 6 months salary...who can go 6 months without a salary with 3 kids? It is also really funny to hear what the Canadians think about our politics and who they want in office (Obama) and how much they know about it all...I can't understand their elections...of course I haven't studied them and they don't effect me like ours effect them but still. He said that they have more than two parties here and so sometimes if one party gets voted in the other two parties will gang up and call for a new election....they don't have set elections, it is just whenever one is called for..I don't really understand but he said that they don't have set elections and sometimes it will be two years or sometimes it will be 9 months. Seems odd but he also made the comment that they don't campaign for two years here like we do...don't I wish that was true! These are the kinds of things that you learn when you work in other countries instead of just being a tourist in one...I doubt many people chat up tourist about politics but when you have to think of something to talk about over dinner it comes out :-) I sort of like to learn what they think....liked the same thing about working in Australia actually.

I am going to try to get some sleep....I am exhausted and I might go walking in the morning to get some blood flowing before work....I need to get in shape ...I keep saying that but then I don't do anything...oh well :-)

No comments: