Tuesday, September 16, 2008

My weight in OJ and my new toy...

Today I got some OJ in the morning on my way to work and I think that I drank half the thing by the time the end of the day was approaching...I am not sure if it is helping and with all the medicine I am taking I have to make sure that I eat or I get really naseous.

On to the fun part..here are some pictures of my new toy (I didn't use my flash so some of them are blurry). It is a medium format camera...which I am sure most people don't know about. Basically it means that the film size is bigger than 35mm. If you think back to your 35mm camera and how big the negative was....it was tiny. Every time you ordered a print it was 4x6 or larger. That means that they had to take that tiny print and blow it up to 4x6 or larger...losing some detail and sharpness. A medium format has a bigger negative so that you don't have to "blow it up" as much when makint prints. In return for not having to blow it up as much you lose less quality. If you look at the detail behind a lot of the beautiful travel pictures that you see, most of them were taken with a medium or large format camera. It is just especially good for landscape photography. To give you more of an idea of how cool it is, they have not really been able to duplicate it in digital photography. The closest they have gotten is a $6K 40MP camera....yes, 40. Even some people say that it doesn't come close. This camera was last made in the 80's...can you believe it? It was on my list of 101 goals and something that I really want to learn. It forces you to get back to the basics of photography and not just shoot, shoot, shoot. I think that it will take some getting used to because the image is actually backwards in the camera and you obviously manually focus it. I am really excited though and can't wait to take it on my trip this fall!



In this last one you can see the viewfinder popped up...you actually look down into the camera instead of through a viewfinder like we are used to....there is a little magnifying class that pops up and makes it easier to see the image.....fun stuff. I plan on taking some pictures this week once I get some film and I will definitely post some once I get some developed....it is definitely more expensive than digital at $20 to get the film developed, low res scan, and 5x5 prints for a roll of 12 pics! Yikes! I do want to get one roll done before vacation so I can make sure I know what I am doing before I ruin several rolls and end up with no pics. Thanks for reading about the photography dork in me!

3 comments:

Zane Hollingsworth said...

http://www.zarias.com/?p=47

This is another cool thing you can do with some of those old medium format cameras.

Mel said...

Interesting...by the way, mine was not "a couple of dollars" but I do plan on looking for more to play with that are on the cheaper end....this one wasn't that cheap but I think that it will be worth it.

m said...

cool camera!