Tuesday, September 30, 2008

The World must be safe

because the first 7 mins of the news tonight was about the gas crisis. I wish that I could put into words how much this whole thing has completely annoyed the shit out of me! If the news didn't spend 7 mins telling people that we were out of gas then they wouldn't fill up every 3 gallons ,which would mean that only 100 cars would need gas a day instead of 1,000, which means we would not have as big of a shortage...what is so hard to understand about that? Someone called into the radio station that I listen to today and said that very thing and they acted like she was an idiot and they were just innocently reporting the news. This was news 2 weeks ago and would have gone away now if they had stopped reporting on it and let people return to their normal filling up habits. GEEZ! 11alive also has a great gadget where you can look online to find where there is gas. Ridiculous, that just fuels the fire (though I guess would be good in a crunch)! I understand that this started out as a legitimate crisis, fine, but then as they continue to report on it and make it into a bigger deal than it needs to be, it cause people to panic. Did you know that people are STALKING GAS TRUCKS? Don't they realize that they probably waste more gas doing that then if they would just chill out at home? Also, people are getting up and going to gas stations at like 2 or 3am to avoid lines. I feel bad for the people who do legitimately have to fill up every few days because they have such a far commute but I just don't feel like that is the majority of the people in line. And, it pisses me off that I can't wait until my tank is on E like I normally do because I will have to wait in a 30 min line to get gas and will run out in the process. Since I refuse to be one of the panicked people, I have decided to buy a Marta pass and will ride that...the only time I will drive is if I have to.

Ok, off soapbox.....not much else going on....I have been crazy busy at work and it is usually 5:30 before I know what has happened. I am getting a lot done though so that helps to pass the day.

Thinking that if this crisis is still going on this weekend I will venture out to one of these gas stations and use my new camera to document the great "Gas Crisis of 2008". Maybe I can get one of those shots that will be used in future generations the same way we see the shots of the gas lines of the 70s.

4 comments:

Mollypants said...

I know I'm moving back south and can't really complain, but really - I feel like I CAN complain now that I'm moving back south. Present company excluded (because you already conserve and avoid travel) - REALLY PEOPLE...take a WALK, RIDE A BIKE or TAKE A BUS. It doesn't shock me that the cities that refuse to buy into public transit and say "we'll never give up our cars" are the ones suffering through gas shortages. I know, the whole pipeline BS. But really, it's the same people who freak out and buy bread and milk when it flurries out - meanwhile NO STORM has ever left me snowbound south of DC. People have to realize that keeping their consumption at a normal or lower level is what keeps prices DOWN and supplies UP.
Sorry, it gets me on a soapbox too...and just so you know, there was a stir here over the markets and the pipeline, and because of it, I avoided driving (I had my roommate's car all weekend) but made sacrifices where necessary to make sure I didn't have to fill up. I could have gone to ikea for storage bins, but I didn't, I bought an alternative a mile away. I could have gone to home depot, but I walked to the hardware store, also a mile away. ok I'll get off my soapbox, it just makes me mad when people act like they're the only consumer out there...and no, you're NOT doing that - I'm not talking about any of you!

m said...

I have to admit one of the stations I pass on the way home from the grocery had gas and I did stop today even though I was only a little below half a tank. Normally would wait until on e, but had a limit over the weekend when I went and it was only half a tank. Now that I am all full I should be good for the next three weeks without having to worry about it. So, sorry to those of you on empty, but I will now stay out of the lines and search for the next several weeks.

Mel said...

I understand when people have to go somewhere...my mom drives an hour to and from work every day so she obviously can't wait for it to get down to e, but I am talking about people who are in my situation...I have a little less than half a tank and I could be in line somewhere, but why?? For less than it costs me to fill up my tank I can buy a pass to marta and ride it everywhere without much hardship, I can walk to the bank, post office, grocery store, park, and if I wanted a little hike, even blockbuster, target, and the "mall" at Atlantic station (have done it). I also can walk a block to marta which could take me other places...obviously I don't have kids to take to school/daycare or doctors or whatever, but those aren't the people I am complaining about, it is the people who have an option and don't use it and instead run to the pump every third gallon.

Drena said...

glad we are not in the south dealing with this....we've had no trouble at all and have had to fill up lots on our road trip. That would've been quite the kink in our road trip....