Monday, November 10, 2008

Layoffs

Not me. Yet. This morning a guy (the only guy from the floor above me that ever comes down to talk to us) came in and said that he had been laid off and they had restructured one of our departments in finance. He had no warning...you think that Mondays are normally bad, this has to be the worst. I didn't believe him at first because he always jokes about stuff but finally he convinced me. It scared me. I know our economy is bad...how could you live in America and not know it...actually, how could you be alive and not know it. This just hit really close to home. Usually accounting is a pretty safe profession. You still have to pay bills, save money and account for things, right?? Well, this department did those things for one of our business segments and now they are gone. It has me wondering many things....will they let my employees go before me, will it just be all of us, are the layoffs over, will I be able to find another job? I will say that at least for that last one I looked up jobs both here and in Dayton and there are some things out there but who knows if that stuff is just put out there all the time in case they need someone, but really they aren't hiring. So, what could I do if I lost my job? Hmm, any suggestions :-) Sorry to be a bummer, but I just feel a little shocked today!

Update: Just talked to my boss and the layoffs had nothing to do with the economy and they are actually rehiring for the same positions but to get more qualified people since the people who were in those positions just sort of migrated there and were not the most qualified for the positions they were in. I feel better! Sad for them though.

No comments: