Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Think I can get sympathy for this?

So, funny story (or maybe not so funny, but I am telling it anyway). While we were on our trip I kept hurting my feet...sounds weird I know but it happened. The second day in Death Valley I got out of the car and scraped my foot against this awful hard, cactus-like bush thingy and it HURT! I was in some serious pain. Craig looked at me sort of the way that boys tend to look at you when they think that you are being a wuss ....then fast forward an hour and my foot is hurting! The plant had drawn blood and I was resolved to the fact that this was some exotic plant that had poison in it and while it would not be enough to amputate, it would annoy the crap out of me. My foot starts to get a little red and puffy around the site (it was near my arch on the inside of my foot) and shoes were starting to bother it. I also had a dull pain like a bee sting (or what I remember a bee sting feeling like since it was like 1st grade the last time I got stung). I whined a little but didn't get much sympathy and was told I would be fine. Fast forward two days and it looked a little more puffy and sort of like a zit...infection, right? So I thought that maybe I should try to see if there was anything in there.....too hard to tell so I will let it be. Now, fast forward about 3 weeks to yesterday and I happened to look at it in the gym when I was changing my shoes...hmm, still a little round hole and while not puffy, it was tender if I touched it...and now there seems to be a red line underneath the skin that is spreading from it. This didn't seem good...why would it be tender 3 weeks later. I told Craig last night about it and he suggested that I have a doctor look at it. I joked that I had my yearly appt tomorrow and she was a doctor, right, so I would just ask her. I asked him if he felt bad for making fun of me and he said 'a little'. In all reality I would feel like an idiot if I went to the doctor for this thing so I asked him what they would possibly do. He said that they would probably pull out whatever might be in there and then see if it was infected. Hmm, that didn't sound like fun. I decided that I would try the age old trick of putting neosporin on it and a band-aid....that is what we always did when we were little if we couldn't get a splinter from the dock out...surely it would still work. Of course, you get splinters on your hand and my skin on my feet is a lot rougher but I decided to try it. My next step was going to be to ask Erin what she thought :-) So, neosporin, band-aid, shower and left it on. Then I went to the gym and another shower and band-aid was done so I took it off....just looked at my foot and it felt more tender and I could see something poking out...so I started to try to get it...and sure enough...out came a 1/4 inch piece of that darn bush! I measured it..that thing was in my foot for 3 weeks...boy will Craig feel bad for acting like I was a wuss now and not believing me when I told him my foot was red and tender! It also sort of feels weird now so I think that I will put some more neosporin on it with another band-aid until it heals...thanks for tuning in....definitely one of my more exciting posts! :-)

Off to get a hairdryer since my sparked this morning and the last thing that I need is to catch my hair on fire one morning!

5 comments:

Rebecca said...

That is crazy! I'm glad you finally got that thing out of your foot and hope you are on the road to recovery!

Shaye said...

Ouch!!! Poor thing!

Shaye said...

Okay, you make those little hats!!?? I need one for Neely's big head!!

Mel said...

Sure, I will put you on the list...do you have a particular type you want?

m said...

Yuck. Glad you got it out.