Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Blanket Update and Funky Smells

So, I have a housekeeping question for you. When I come home I smell something a little funky when I walk in. It is just this sort of stall smell and I don't know how to get rid of it. I don't normally have it and I think that it mostly has to do with the moisture and the temps outside. My place is small so if the temps are stable outside then my heat and air don't run...therefore no air circulates through my place, which might be the reason. Also it just seems humid or something....and it is worse after a shower. I am not sure what to do...my garbage is clean and taken out, no dishes in the sink, garbage disposal is cleaned out so we can rule out all of that...do any of you guys have a suggestion for me?



Now to my blanket...I am happy to report that I have pretty much finished all the pieces, I say pretty much because I still need to do the white outline on them all like the blue one on the top left and then put them all together but hopefully that will be the easy part....here is a picture of the "before" I sort of hope to have it done by the end of the weekend but I leave on Sunday for Arizona so I might not make it...I was thinking about taking it with me to finish...hmmmm. This was also my entry for the NLP325 today.

7 comments:

Meredith said...

Looks like the blanket is going to be so cute! I can't wait to see the finished product!

Not sure about the smell. Have you tried BBW Wallflowers or anything of the sort? Candles?

Mel said...

Yeah, I did candles but I really think that the smells just linger...they aren't necessarily bad, just sort of stale. i did find this air freshner thing that has a little fan in it so i am going to try that and see if moving some air around helps.....i really think that is the problem!

m said...

Do you think it could be in the kitchen? We once had a funky smell in the kitchen and someone suggested throwing out all the ice in the ice machine. Did the trick.

If the fan does not work you could try a couple dryer sheets under the couch cushions. Tried that once a while ago and it seemed to work.

Also, just tried googled it and several people really like ionization machines.

Mel said...

I do think that it is the kitchen area but I don't know what...I smell all around and it is not one certain thing but more like all the smells from everything that I have cooked are all mixed together and not going anywhere...maybe I will try turning on the fan over the stove...that should move air or bring the fan from my room out there for an hour or so.

I don't have any ice in my icemaker....I never use it and it is a great place to store extra food :-)

I might try the dryer sheet thing, I have heard that before!

m said...

Would definitely recommend running the fan above the stove. Also, know you said the garbage disposal is empty, but have you cleaned it lately? You can try dumping some baking soda down there or do some lemon or orange slices while running some hot water. It always makes the kitchen smell really good!

Mel said...

Yep, cleaned the rubber thing that goes in it and also got some little balls that you can put in that smell like orange but I will do it all again.

Mollypants said...

After a year in an old house with weird smells in Philly, I've got lots of weird solutions for odd smells. I would suggest cleaning the back of the filter on the refrigerator and the coils if it's coming from the kitchen. Sometimes condensation builds on there and gets moldy because the motor on the refrigerator collects dust. Also, clean the airvents all around your house...sometimes gunk just gets built up like dust, and one little droplet of water can cause a huge amount of smelly rotten stuff!
Last thing...I know, it's pretty gross, but seriously, it happens. Have your building investigate what's between floors and unit walls. You wouldn't believe all the claims I've heard of in insurance where a small animal would get in it and then get electrocuted by a wire and expire between the walls. Other than that, use diluted vinegar instead of your regular cleansers and see if it does the trick. Cleaners are so powerful and scented with crazy things that sometimes the mixture of them will produce a third, unrelated weird smell. Despite what you think of when you smell vinegar, I promise, it makes your house smell like the best thing ever - nothing!