Friday, January 23, 2009

Geography Lesson


I had dinner with a friend last night that I haven't seen in a while and she was very concerned about me moving to Ohio and how cold it would be....and I have heard that a lot. So, for those of you who know nothing about Ohio, you will be surprised at just how close the part I am moving to is in relation to the south...Kentucky is literally 50 mins away from Craig's house...as a matter of a fact, the Cincinatti airport is really in Kentucky by like 10 miles and it takes an hour from Craig's door to the airport door. Here is a map for you guys and I have circle key items :-) Of course I did it with my mouse so the writing is not the greatest but at least you guys will know where I am so you can visit. Craig lives in Beavercreek and I will be working in Middletown. I also circled the nasty cold yucky (though is looks like yurky) parts for you...notice how far they are...it takes 3.5 hours to Cleveland...that would be like going from Atlanta to the border of Florida..you know how much that weather changes! Also, notice the part that is cold and yucky is on the Great Lakes...water+winter=extra cold!! I hope you all learned something :-)


10 comments:

Rebecca said...

Don't know how close you will be living to Middletown, but wave to Josh's Aunt Barb & Uncle Casey when you get there - they live in South Lebanon (which I assume is either just south of Lebanon or the southern part of Lebanon), which looks like it is right next door to Middletown. :)

Mel said...

I will not be living near there but it only a 35 min drive from Craig's to where I will work so I will wave on my way to and from work :-)

Mollypants said...

i have never been to Ohio. Until you said you were moving there, I was half convinced that it was like Idaho - it doesn't really exist, they just made it up so they could come up with an even 50 states.

m said...

Do you have a date yet?

Mel said...

No, I actually just sent my boss an email today to see when we could figure it out....I need to know from her who I need to talk to there that can tell me if there is room for me (which I know there is but I have to go through all the proper channels and red tape). I am thinking the third or fourth weekend in March though.

Mollypants said...

by the way...it's just technical, but Kentucky is debatable as to being "the South". It was not a confederate state, it was actually a Union state. Yes, they have rednecks, but so does every other state in the US. But I would say it's no more north than Philadelphia, right?

Mel said...

Yes, I suppose that it is debateable as a Southern state to us true Southerners, but I am pretty sure no one in the north wants to claim them either...sad. Plus, I counted them because they have southern accents...and it touches southern states??? Hmm, maybe it is a stretch, but sadly I think that if you asked 100 people 90 would say south...not really scientific though.

Mollypants said...

I say whatever logic lets us keep Kentucky and give away Florida, I'm all for it.

Shaye said...

My Aunt lives in Covington KY...from the lesson that seems to be about 20 miles from you. We'll have to come visit!

m said...

I think KY could almost be midwest. Although TN is southern, it also touches Indiana, Illinois, and Missouri. All big midwest states. Technically the arch is the "gateway to the west" with part of Missouri south of KY.