Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Reason #627 that Craig is a dork...

And Molly will like this....if you look at the comments to my "geography lesson" post then you will see that Molly was talking about KY and whether we could consider it "the South" or not. On my two hour drive to Tucson I was telling Craig that story and since he is a dork (reason #627 that he is) and loves history, he looked it all up. I decided to post it here instead of in the comment section. Here is the reference and as it turns out, KY didn't really know what they wanted....they were split and they never actually seceded from the Union but they were claimed as a territory by the Confederacy and apparently they had two governments at one time. They are one of the stars on the Southern Cross flag (which I call the confederate flag). So, I think that we can claim them as Southern if we want....not sure about how to get rid of Florida and while Craig agrees that it is a shithole, he is still figuring out how we can get rid of them.

By the way, did anyone know that Tennessee seceded from the Union and then tried to secede from the Confederacy? They wanted to be their own country....I didn't know that they tried that too. Funny history.

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

You mentioned something in one of your comments about how Kentucky has southern accents so maybe that makes them part of the South. Following that logic, people in Florida do NOT have southern accents (mostly NY or hispanic accents, right?), so therefore Fla is North, not South. Will that work? :) Oh, and yes - every state does have rednecks. Josh showed me one of his high school yearbooks one time and I can't tell you how many mullets were running around the suburbs of Philadelphia back in 1993-1994 - more than in my high school, for sure (and I'm from GA). :)

m said...

On the topic of everyone having rednecks, every part of the country does have them, but I they have different names for them. My cousins in Missouri call them Hoosiers (proper midwest anc whooooooooo-sures).

Mel said...

Yes, apparently rednecks does mean something different in the Midwest...I remember Craig telling me that one time and us having a whole discussion about what a redneck is....I think that it might be because some of the things we consider redneck are things that they regularly do....

Mollypants said...

Virginia had a way of dealing with that whole split government thing: we gave away West Virginia. When we seceded from the Union, they seceded from us. We still don't want it back.

A redneck is, in my opinion, something we're all descended from. The term came from the fact that laborers and poor farmers in the fields were working all day bent over, and the only part of them that got sun was the back of their necks, which would burn and become built-up and thick as a result through the years. That and mullets tend to irritate whatever skin it touches as it's an unnatural style.

Other than North American countries though, what is a redneck in other parts of the world? Do they wear wife-beaters and bring their kids to wal-mart with no shoes and kool-aid stained upper lips too? Or is that purely american?