Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Finalizing plans...

Today my boss told me that she had talked to the GM and I am all set in Ohio. The GM seems quite funny! They are actually excited to have me there because they want to sort of be a pilot location for some of the changes we are doing and having me there will probably let them be one :-) I also emailed the apartment complex to make sure they still had the apartment I wanted and got an application and contacted my condo to schedule my move...it seems to all be coming together very nicely. My boss mentioned again that she wanted me to be in Atlanta some and I am going to start traveling some more (just in time for my move...but oh well).

I also started to thinking today and even though I am an accountant, I don't typically do taxes unless it is pretty easy stuff. I am wondering if since I will live in OH and only come back here for work whether or not I can somehow expense the cost of my mortgage for the days I am here. If anyone knows someone who does taxes and would be willing to just answer this for me, I would love to know who it is. I can do my own taxes, but I tried looking this up and it wasn't really clear cut!

I am really excited....Craig sent me this link today. It is right across the street from where I am going to live...it is like a mini Chastain. I am excited about it being so close...they haven't released the 2009 season yet but hopefully they will have someone good. Here are the people from last year.

Other than that, I don't really feel great today...my tummy started hurting after my step class...I couldn't ever figure out if I was hungry or really didn't feel good. I kept dinner sort of bland (which stunk cause last night I defrosted some of my mom's homemade spaghetti sauce). Hopefully it will pass soon.

2 comments:

m said...

I'll ask Matt and his sister, but curious (as a none accountant) why would a second home be tax deductible? I have heard of home offices when x miles from an office, but not two residences.

Mel said...

it is not that it is a second home, it is more the fact that the only reason I would be coming back to it is for work...business expense. If I didn't have the condo then my company would pay for me to stay in a hotel so since they aren't doing that but I am paying a mortgage, I was wondering if just the portion of the mortgage for the time I spend in Atlanta BECAUSE OF WORK (key distinguish, not the whole amount) is deductible. I did find some guidance that it was but I want to be sure. I don't do taxes really so I don't know all the ins and outs but I am not using it for personal use (or as least know I can't deduct that part).

Also, don't think that home offices have to be a certain distance from the office, the space just has to be used entirely for business.