Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Lent

So clearly Fat Tuesday snuck up on me this year....not sure how that happened but all of a sudden I realized that tomorrow was Ash Wednesday and the Lent season is upon us. I can't really figure out what to give up this year (sort of late in the game this year, I know). I should give up sweets but selfishly it makes me sad that I couldn't have cake on my 30th birthday (though does Lent end on Good Friday or Easter?) I get confused....this is what I found on one website..and it would mean that I could have cake on my birthday (the 10th) :-)
Dates:
Lent is a forty-day period before Easter. It begins on Ash Wednesday. We skip Sundays when we count the forty days, because Sundays commemorate the Resurrection. Lent begins on 25 February 2009 and ends on 11 April 2009, which is the day before Easter.

In the Roman Catholic Church, Lent officially ends at sundown on 9 April (Holy Thursday), with the beginning of the mass of the Lord’s Supper.

It also would mean that I couldn't have any baklava in Greece....or I could give up carbonated beverages....I drink diet coke but I feel like I drink too much of it and it makes my tummy puffy (or maybe it is just fat from the sweets). Other than those two things I can't really think of what I can give up. Do any of you guys give up anything? I know that a lot of my friends growing up did it even though I was the only one who went to a Catholic church...any ideas for me?

6 comments:

Drena said...

I've never given up anything. it is no fun. If I was you I wouldn't give up any food/drink related items since you are going to be on vacation.

m said...

Kind of a complicated subject and not sure if your source tells the complete story. While lent may "officially" end on Thursday at sundown that Friday is one of the most religious and solemn days of the year for Catholics. It is a day of fast and abstinence from meat. In other words we are not enjoying the things we gave up quite yet.

While giving up a favorite food is one way to observe lent you could also give up an activity or something else you enjoy (movies every Friday night, manicures, etc.) are all options. If you really want to do food it does not have to be quite as broad as all sweets. Just something to remind you of what and why you are giving something up. Maybe just desserts or everything except dessert. Chocolate (although really hard), french fries, all fried food, pizza, and chips are all food related ones I have heard of before.

Meredith said...

I know of someone who gave up facebook for Lent... so you could also think along those lines. I decided I'm not giving anything up this year. But Meghan gave some good suggestions of giving up activities... then you'd be able to enjoy yourself on vacation and your birthday... My birthday (being in March) is always during lent, so I have to be very careful of what i give up! :)

Erin H. said...

I don't give up anything for Lent, but I'm always fascinated by what others give up. I'm kinda with Drena on the no food / drink thing. What about your ipod or something like that? Or, gossiping? Good luck and keep us posted!

Rebecca said...

I've never given up anything either, but I'm like Erin - it always fascinates me to hear what other people give up. I've heard of people giving up soda and cursing (although I would think cursing might be something to give up anyway...if someone is THAT big of a curser?) and gossiping. On 92.9 this afternoon the lady was doing her lunchtime theme like she always does (today was things to give up for Lent) and people were emailing ideas, and apparently a couple of people emailed in stuff like cocaine & heroin. She's like, "Um, you shouldn't just give that up for LENT!" It was funny.

Mollypants said...

I gave up alcohol one year - mainly to see if I could do it. I allowed myself the day of St Paddy's day though, because that year it was on a Friday and apparently even the archdiocese of Philadelphia and Boston allowed Catholics to eat meat that day because they're supposed to eat corned-beef hash.
I think if you have one or two days staked out ahead of time and don't overdo it, it's fine. Besides, the whole no-meat-on-friday thing? It was never even imposed until semi-modern times, purely to give a boost to the fishermen. I'm not Catholic, or even religious for that matter, but I think it's a good thing to cleanse yourself every once in a while and give something up that you consider a vice - purely to show yourself that you're stronger than it. I also have thought that it doesn't really help if it's something you SHOULD be giving up anyway - because you're getting a benefit from it, and the whole point behind it is to recognize a sacrifice that someone gave that in no way benefitted the sacrificer.
So anyway, I feel like if you want to give something up, go ahead, and if you want to carve out a few days to have that one thing way ahead of time, you're most likely not to get struck by lightning. Oh, and by the way - I *think* that the 40 days is from Ash Wednesday to Easter, and doesn't include weekends - so it's actually longer than 40 days.
I am thinking of giving up swearing. I know it benefits me to give it up, but I'd love to give it up long term by just aiming for that 40 days or so!