Saturday, February 28, 2009

We made it...and were "those people"

Finally! There was a little bit of drama involved...when is there not when I travel and my boyfriend (Delta) and I had another fight...eventually he gave in though and we made it. My sister and I got to the airport about an hour and a half before our flight (thanks Drena for the ride). We get to the ticket counter and the lady is processing us and first she gets sort of irritated at my sister because the reservation is Jennifer Powers but the passport is Jennifer Sutton. Jennifer had a copy of her marriage license with her (which is what Delta told us to bring) and the lady said that it was supposed to be the original. It was sort of annoying because her name is now Jennifer Powers Sutton. Anyway, she called over the supervisor and he said it didn't matter. Then she did everything and she goes to ask us if the exit row is ok and then it went something like this:
Her: "oh, wait a minute, they never reissued the ticket"
Me: but I have my confirmation right here.
Her: Yeah, they redid the reservation but didn't reissue the ticket.
Let me just say at this point that I don't even know what the difference is but apparently it is important. So, she spends 20 mins on the phone per person for each of us and then comes back and says that it might cost us more skymiles and it might cost more money because it had been changed twice. I was pissed because both of them were done by Delta without me doing anything. The first was because the original flight that they put me on was a partner one with Continental and they cancelled the flight all together. The second time was because they had me on a waitlist and it cleared. I was so mad but I didn't really have time to argue because it was 12:10 at this point and my flight left at 12:50. I gave them my credit card and I asked for the customer service number and address...there was no way I was going to pay for this when it wasn't my fault. I told her that I flew Delta all the time and this was ridiculous. About 5 mins later she removed the charges and we got 10 free drink coupons. Literally though, it was 12:20(I sent my sister ahead in case she had trouble with the name again and I was worried because I brought my lead film bag with the film this time so it wouldn't get ruined.)and I had not gone through security...so, my sister and I were "those people" that took an hour at the counter (and slowed the line) and then we were "those people" again when we were running to the gate. Luckily we made it but no time for food. Then we sat on the runway FOREVER and finally took off. I was under the impression that we were going on the same plane to Greece because when we left Atlanta they said "connecting service to Greece"...not so. So, we get into JFK late and we have to change gates...grr. We looked for something to eat but there wasn't anything and our plane to Athens was already boarding so we literally walked right to the next gate and got on a plane. Another close call.
The plane ride was fine except that we had the exit row and that was great for leg room but it was so cold!!! The flight attendents were awesome and felt so bad for us that they got us a down blanket from first class. I don't know what we would have done without it!!

Once we got here my sister and I had about 3 hours until Jody Laird got here...we slept on our baggage. Once Jody got here we got some food and chatted and then it was time to meet Dudley. Well, we realized that since she was flying through Paris she wouldn't go through customs so we were waiting outside that gate. Her plane landed and 40 mins later we still hadn't found her...uh oh. We started the search party. The Athens airport is small so we spread...Jody went to look on the free internet to see if she had a message from Jenn and I went to see if I could call the hotel to see if there was a message there and my sister went to look one more time at the agreed upon meeting place before we even left for Greece....finally, my sister found her! Turns out she got lost and she thought that she should go through customs but she didn't need to and her luggage didn't come through so she was dealing with that...so, no luggage but we got Dudley. After that (and 6 hours in the aiport for my sister and I) we caught a cab to Athens. We changed and cleaned up and then went to walk but there is nothing to see around here...pretty rundown. We didn't have time to make it to any sites so that will start tomorrow, so no good stories there yet.

We are just trying to stay up now so I am using Jody's computer. I haven't been able to figure out the phones here yet so I haven't been able to call Craig...I feel bad only because I said I would...and I would worry if he didn't call me when going to a foreign country...oh well, I sent him an email...he will get it on Monday.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend...probably won't have internet until I get back home probably....but we are all on the same flight home...

3 comments:

Mollypants said...

Glad you made it...enjoy Greece! If you're like someone we know and get your passport stolen, the US Embassy is very nice and the Marines outside are just the hottest things ever. Well, my Marine is hotter, but they're cute as buttons.

Mel said...

yeah, hopefully that will not happen but still no luggage for Jenn.

Drena said...

Poor dudley! Glad you all are together and safely made it! Have a great time and look forward to hearing all about it!

U R missing ATL snow today....I think I would rather be in Greece!