Monday, February 16, 2009

My new business....

Maybe it is the fact that I woke up at 4:30am today (which hopefully I will not have to do again anytime soon and still be functional for the rest of the day). I flew Airtran today and we got in 30 mins early....crazy. It is only an hour and 7 min flight. The do build in about 10 more mins than Delta, but it was still early. I got to Dayton early on Friday too! Probably means I will be stranded soon!

Oh, so my business. I went to Target today to pick up some South Beach diet pizzas, I like them and they are a good quick lunch. Not sure if they count as real pizza but it is still a somewhat healthy lunch. Off track, sorry, so anyway, this is one of those Targets that has the food too and I swear that everywhere I looked they had 100 calorie packs of this, that, and the other. Now, I admit that when they first came out I bought them too and I am sure they are good for kids' lunches by my goodness they are in everything now. ....I even saw them with nuts today! It was the size of the pack they give you on the airplane....So, what I thought I would do, as a service to any friends that are interested, is I would get you some little tupperwares and fill them with 100 calories worth of your favorite treats. When you are done you can just bring them back and I will refill them. Charge? $.25 a time...pretty good deal huh. Seriously though, it annoys me with all the extra packaging and the amount they charge for them..seems very ungreen and I don't think that I will encourage the behavior anymore :-) I bought a regular sized bag of goldfish and plan to count them out till I get to 100 calories' worth...just kidding, sort of.

4 comments:

Mollypants said...

While I love the idea of the controlled portion, I'm with you - it's wasteful on packaging and way too expensive to buy those 100-calorie packs. Even lean cuisine is the same way once you think about it...I've found I can make the same meals in bigger portions that taste better for less money and fewer calories. All those preservatives and salt just make them bland and yucky!
I think you've got a great idea though...even if it's just charging $20 to come over and show people how to do it themselves with a food scale and baggies/tupperwares.
I think my parents were ahead of the time - I hated the fact when I was a kid that they made us bring home our used baggies to re-use, and we never got prepackaged stuff - they were "cheap" back then, but now, it's "green"...go figure.

Mel said...

I am not sure if we reused bags or not...sounds like something that my mom would do though :-) Lean Cuisines gross me out period...they are just gross to me and I don't like all the food to be cooking together and I bring leftovers a lot...but I do like the pizzas :-)

Mollypants said...

I eat out a lot more than I should at work...I keep it healthy, but that means that it's EXPENSIVE. I need to do something different - my usual alternative is not eat at all, which is actually possible, unfortunately. I may steal your idea for it though...I'm still convinced that I should invent the bagel vending machine for offices - it'll sell you a bagel and butter, toast, creamcheese or whatever your bagel for $1.25.

Meredith said...

I totally agree! Wasted packaging! It's so much cheaper to make little ones yourself! I do that with pudding and jello... instead of buying the snack packs that are already made.

Oh, and if you're looking for pretty tasty light frozen meals (which... totally agree with Molly about leftovers... sometimes I just dont' have any and HAVE to have a frozen dinner because I'm not a sandwich person)... anyway... Lean Michelina's are REALLY good... they actually have taste! (who knew?)