Wednesday, February 11, 2009

What DOES Chandler do?

Molly and I were talking over email today and she says this to me:

BTW…I’ve always seen your email address and I’ve meant to ask, but never got around to it – what exactly do you DO in your corporate job? I tend to think of it like Chandler’s job on Friends – I know it’s business and probably accounting, but have no idea what’s involved in it!

It cracked me up and so I wrote her a "quick" little summary while I ate my lunch. I figured that some of the rest of you might not know exactly what I do (or care and if you don't, stop reading here), so here is my response to her. I don't know how much everyone knows about accounting but I sort of assumed most of you never took a class...

My job is basically to fix people’s accounting, train them, design and implement standardization, and to review reconciliations for all their balance sheet accounts. Not sure how much you know about accounting and am sure you never took a class, but all the accounts on the balance sheet are much like your checkbook…you have the bank who says you have $100 and you who says you have $400, there are known reasons why the differences occur (maybe you put a deposit in the day before the bank statement and wrote it down in your checkbook that day but it get credited to the bank the next day, maybe someone sent you money (wish this would happen to me) and you didn’t know about it so you didn’t write it down). Each month you should balance your check book. Well, with companies they have the same issues only (other than their cash accounts) there is not a bank involved but reports from different systems. For instance, with our crappy system, the place where we keep all the detail of what our customers owe us and what they have paid doesn’t talk to the system where our accounting is. Things should agree but sometimes if someone forgets to do something on either side or if there is timing like the example above then the amounts don’t match and you have to “balance” them. This should be done every month but some people don’t do it every month so it would be like you being off in your checking account by $1K but the last time your balance agreed to the bank was over a year ago. You have to go back to a year ago and then tie everything the bank has to what you have and see where the differences are. Simple example but you get the point.

There are 85 US locations with 50-60 balance sheet accounts a piece!

It gets further complicated by the fact that we finance cars for dealers (these accounts are 90% of our problem accounts). So, a dealer establishes a line of credit with us at a certain auction..their home auction. Then they can buy a car at one auction and then sell it at another (so money has to go between the two auctions when it sells because it has to go back to the home auction).
They can buy a car from an auction we don’t own and add it to their line (so we have to add it to their line and then send the check to the auction we don’t own)
They can buy it and sell it at the same auction
They can buy it at one auction and sell it outside the auction process to average joe (so we have it on their line and then have to get a check from them)
And about 19 other scenarios that you can think of. In addition to that, they have to manually post all this stuff to the general ledger (where the accounting is, sorry if you knew that)….if ANY of these steps get missed it causes the accounting to be out of whack and it takes FOREVER to find it…you literally have to almost do it car by car…what was added, what was paid off, what was transferred, what was booked to the gl, what wasn’t, if you do it every month then the most detail you have to go through is a month, but if you wait……..I went to New Orleans for an entire week and couldn’t even balance one month! Turns out they had plugged a number the month before…

My group reviews these reconciliations (balancing) that they do once a quarter to look for stuff that seems out of whack. Most items should be like the example I gave above where it was all something that happened in the same month, so if am looking at the December rec and see something on there from February it means they got lazy and are not trying to resolve the problem. Supposedly this was done by all the region people for there region (we have 6) for years and years but really half the regions never even turned in recs so they obviously were not being reviewed. Also, there is a standard way to do this (varies by company) so that they all look the same and odd items stick out…some people have created their own spreadsheets that make no sense and have the logic of a 2 yr old, so another thing we are doing is we revised all the standard recs so that we can have one big push to do it the same way. It will help us and help them when a new controller comes along and we don’t have to figure out it was being done in order to train them….we can just hand them a welcome pack and walk through it.

If they don’t reconcile every month then they will not know whether everything that was supposed to get booked actually did or if stuff got booked that wasn’t supposed to and this could cause our balance sheet to be wrong, which in turn can cause the income statement to be wrong, which could affect lots of things…

For the training part, once we fix a rec we train the people on how to properly do it themselves every month….or if they are doing it ass backwards we teach them how to do it right.

If you made it through all of that then Congrats!

7 comments:

Rebecca said...

I made it through...barely. That's why I got C's in BOTH accounting classes I had to take! Kudos to you for understanding all of that. Most of the time I can't even remember if you want to be "in the red" or "in the black"!

Mel said...

HAHA, it is all in what you learn. I am not sure I do understand it sometimes!

And, a trick to remembering whether you want to be "in the red" or "in the black" is that if you are red you are bleeding and you don't want a company to bleed :-)

Zane Hollingsworth said...

my family & our businesses' poor record keeping could keep you in a job for life.

Mel said...

Zane- when I want to leave the corporate world I will give you a call!

The sad part is I like fixing it. It is frustrating at times but I like the problem solving part a lot!

Mollypants said...

confession: I know and understand what you do, and I took enough accounting classes in grad school to technically declare it my concentration on my MBA, but I never ever balance my checkbook. I have no money, I rarely have money, and my bank is my employer in a roundabout way. I trust them like that to just continually screw me over. My knowing the details are just semantics.

Mel said...

Super confession: I don't balance mine either :-) I actually have MS money and can't balance any of my credit cards because I think that I forgot to download info some of the months and now it is not available anymore...BUT me (or you) not doing it really only screws us, not a company full of people :-)

Sorry for using such simple terms, I didn't know how much you knew...and I know a lot of people don't do well in Acctg in college...I think it either clicks or it doesn't.

Mollypants said...

Nah I think you explained it really well, and I didn't do so well in it in college, yet got a 4.0 in it in college. Go figure. With my level of education in it though, you'd figure I'd at least pay more attention. But no. Have you tried mint.com? I really like it, it centralizes all of your banking and credit cards and billing and stuff, way better than google's or the individual banks' sites. I never even have to log in to my bank anymore.
Now that we know what you do, all I have to do is figure out what Carrie does. I know that it has something to do with MIS (I remember that was her major), and I know she works for Eye-bee-emm but other than that, no clue. One day I'll post what I'm actually doing in my job as well.