Tuesday, June 17, 2008

I AM HOME!!

I am so excited! Got home from Nashville early today (not early really, but earlier than I was supposed to) and traffic wasn't that bad so Al and I got a nice long walk in the park. It was just what the doctor ordered and there were lots of people in the park today! WOW! I decided that since I had the time I should do the long workout...an hour and ten minutes. The hard part was that I had to slow my walking down for some of it because you have to keep your heart rate pretty tight and for a while. It was a bit of a challenge, especially using the podrunner because the beat is fast.

I got to see my best friend from high school this morning. We were supposed to meet for a drink last night since she lives in Nashville but since my dinner ran over and she had to start rounds this morning at 6am (she is doing her last year of residency (I think) with Vandy in the OB/GYN area because she wants to do high risk pregnancies (at least the last time I saw her that was what she wanted to do, I didn't ask again this time because I am sure she gets sick of explaining it and we only had an hour)). She had a break from 7-9 so she brought a latte to my hotel and we hung out for an hour or so. I told her all about Erin's pregnancy (sorry Erin but she knows all that stuff) and she was telling me how she is so amazed that the women don't lose it more when they are on bedrest for that long. She said that sometimes the medicial students aren't allow to go in the patients' rooms because they are so on the edge that they try to give them special treatment to at least ease the pain a little bit. I just remembered how Erin looked forward to the sheet changing because it was an activity so maybe I should tell her that they should go in the rooms....then again, everyone is probably not as nice as Erin is, so maybe that isn't the best idea. Anyway, the point of all this was that I love how it doesn't matter how long it has been since I talked to her, when we get together it is like we never skipped a beat. I lived with her my freshman year and everyone told us not to do it because we would end up hating each other afterwards but it wasn't true at all...we had a blast! We left that year making promises to keep in touch since she was going to be in the sorority house next door, but it just never really happened. We would try to do lunches and stuff and we got together for our birthdays but overall we sort of lost touch. The funny thing though is that she is the type of friend that I can not talk to for 2 years, and then when I do we still have no problems talking to each other. I know that we have been apart for a long time and we have lived our own lives and we have matured but for some reason it just doesn't seem like anything has changed...it still seems like all those times that we would convince our moms to drop us off at each other's house or let us meet at the movies. I love friendships like that. I have known her since 7th grade and she saw everything I went through up until my second year of college...all the fun times, heartbracks, deaths of friends parents, cancer, death of friends, divorces, whatever it was and she still loved me for who I was....it is hard to find friends like that. Don't get me wrong...I love all of you for who you are but we met at a different point in our lives and I could tell you about all the things that I went through when growing up (good and bad) and all the things that I dealt with but it isn't the same as you being there. I just don't think that there is any replacement for a childhood friend. I wish that we could be better about keeping in touch....she has FINALLY joined the regular world and started responding to email so maybe that will help! It was definitely great to see her though!

1 comment:

Meredith said...

Hey Melissa!
I LOVE my childhood friend... we have a similar relationship... no matter how long we go without seeing each other, we have no problem talking and catching up when we do! :)

Welcome home... I know it's got to be so hard to travel so much. Found your blog linked to Drena's and thought I would say hi!
DG <3, Meredith (wyatt)