Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Smaller cities...

Tonight I took Al out and did my second 'normal' workout for the week...now I only have the long and short one to go. I feel good getting them all done because I actually do like how I feel when I exercise. After my workout I went to get some dinner and the sun was setting and the sky was a beautiful pink color. Yesterday when walking to Outback I noticed that the greens are greener here and the blues are bluer. They look like those landscape pictures that you see when you visit National Parks or that you see in the guidebooks. The ones that are taken with a large format camera and that everyone thinks were doctored up in photoshop but they weren't. I got to thinking and wondering why we didn't have colors like that in Atlanta. Then it came to me....we don't have those colors because of pollution...smog and light pollution. When I fly into Atlanta (and most major cities) there is a nasty hazy that just lingers in the air. It is so sad. This got me to thinking that maybe I want to live in a smaller city. I feel so torn....when I was in Philly I loved it there cause you can walk right out your door and 5 walking mins later be where you want to be...no car needed. But then when I am here and see how beautiful the colors are and wish that I had my camera it makes me want to live somewhere with no traffic and with less pollution. I can't hit 3 Targets in 10 mins here though....but there is one. Maybe as I get older and as I travel to other towns it just points out the things about Atlanta that annoy me. I hate planning my whole life around traffic. Smaller cities think that they have traffic but after being in Atlanta for 7 years it would seem like nothing. Atlanta is my home though...it is almost where I grew up and definitely where I did a lot of growing. Hmmmm....do any of you ever feel like you would leave the city you are in for another one?

3 comments:

Drena said...

I don't really want to leave, but I think I would like a second home in North Georgia. Going to my parents is a nice getaway too because it is the small town feel and you have stars that you can actually see, etc. I eventually want to live on a lot of land so feel like I will move a little further away from Atlanta.

Meredith said...

I think I would have a hard time leaving Atlanta, but I know what you mean about the smaller towns. It definitely is nice to visit, but I'm not sure I could leave my family or my hometown.

Mollypants said...

I'm probably not the one to ask this - I'm going on my sixth city I call home! I find you think you could "never" leave, and then you do it and learn all kinds of stuff about yourself - I think everyone should move somewhere where they don't know a soul once in their life. I just got back to Philly and noticed that "haze" - it's called smog and humidity! I love living without a car, without a doubt, but I agree - there's something to be said for living a little more country!