Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Sugar free Candy

I am trying to work on this whole eating better out of town thing but I find that the foods I eat are a little saltier than at home and then I always end up craving something sweet. Today, in order to curb that craving, I decided to go to Target after lunch and get some candy that is halfway good for me instead of the stuff I can get in the vending machine or the chocolate bar that the GM will bring by every day. I tend to like sugar-free candy so I headed to that section and made an odd discovery. The candy is more expensive AND you get less in a pack. I wonder why this is....is it cheaper to put more sugar in candy than to not? No wonder people don't eat healthier if it costs more...I could have gotten a jumbo bag of chocolate for $1.50 or the 6 pieces that I got for $2.59. I am sure that most people go for the quantity for cheaper than the quality for more...kind of like how at McDonald's everything kept getting bigger and bigger but no more expensive. It sort of makes you think about why this country (and others that our culture is spreading to) have such an obesity problem. The 6 pieces are really good and well worth the extra dollar...plus, I can only eat 2 total cause I gave away the other 4 to other employees so it really is a win all around. I am doing better with eating well out of town..I am going to try to write an update on what specific goals I have come up with so far.

2 comments:

m said...

I think it is more expensive because they put other things in to still make it taste good instead of sugar. Just taking out the sugar would be disgusting.

Mel said...

Yeah, I guess that makes sense, I just would have thought that whatever they put in there instead of sugar wouldn't cost that much more...maybe I am wrong.....being fat is cheaper :-)