Friday, June 6, 2008

Rough day at the airport

It is a good thing that I had a good week, am headed to Ohio, and that I travel enough to know the way things work because if none of those things were true I might have lost it today. First, I go to check in and the Delta kiosk tells me that I can't check in because it is a Continental codeshare and to either go to the Continental desk or the Delta representative will help me. I decide that since my bag weighed 59 pounds when I flew in and the limit is 50 unless you are medallion (which I am)that I should go to the Deta counter. Chica gives me a blank stare and says she can't help. Some codeshare! I ask if they will honor my medallion status at Continental and says she is not sure but Delta doesn't honor theirs. These guys do not appear to play nice. I am annoyed because I booked this all through Delta and if you don't have a choice in the matter then they should honor each other's statuses. Now I am quickly trying to calculate if my bag will weight less. Let's see, I brought work with me and paper weighs a lot but since I finished some of it I sent it back. I am also wearing jeans and regular shoes today instead of work pants and light slipons. I go to the Continental counter and the kiosk there will not check me in. Crap! I wait in line and go to the counter where I can finally be checked in, throw by bag up there and wait. It finally flashes 48! Sweet first disaster avoided!
In Albany they have this little cube thing you can step into and it blows air on you and then you step out. It is some sort of extra security thing. Today I was choosen to get in it. I am really funny about letting my bags go through before me and just sit on the other side where anyone could pick them up and walk away. Today I had computers, my purse, my wacom tablet, and my camera so there was a lot to lose! The guy was nice and held my stuff out while I got airzapped. When I did finally go through the line they held out my bookbag (with my camera) for additional screening. Apparently I looked extra threatening today. I go over to where they are inspecting and you can't touch and all. Find out the guy thought it was a camcorder cause it was so big (Craig got me the extra battery holder with the portrait shutter release for my birthday so it adds some bulk). I explained that it was just a normal camera even though it was big. They searched the bag and found nothing. The ironic thing was that when they were helping me repack it (at some point they got scared of the camera when they realized that if they broke it it would cost a paycheck to replace it and they let me repack it)then the camera got stuck on something and as I reached down to move it I discovered that it was a bottle of water - you know, the kind they screen for at security. Not only did they miss it in x-ray but they hand inspected my bag! Hmmmm. I will say that they were very nice through the process so that made it better but just a lot of extra steps at security today.

My favorite was when I got on the plane, and this is the only one that really mad me mad. We got on the plane and it was a puddle jumper with limited space. I have two bags, neither of which will be checked at the gate (camera or computers) so they have to go on the plane with me. Normally even the puddle jumpers have enough room up top for my rolling computer bag but this time the plane was miniature. I got on and saw this and knew there was going to be an issue and I was going to have to do some shoving. So you know how they tell you to step out of the aisle and let people pass and then get situated? Well, I was in the third row so I did that and this guy looks at me so I say "go ahead, it is going to take me a minute to get situated" to which he replies " I am trying to go therev(where I am standing) and you need to move". WOW! Nver had that reaction to trying to be helpful! He was so rude that I could resist, so I said "I was trying to help,you don't have to be so rude!". Then I sat down across the aisle from him and gave him an evil look!

Airports are fun!

I am on another miniature plane but no mean people here. I guess Drew Carey was right and "Cleveland Rocks!"

I hope that story made sense cause I typed it all on my blackberry and I don't want to scroll back through it all to proofread it.

1 comment:

Drena said...

I would hate to travel as much as you do. You must have more patience than you really think you do. I'm pretty sure I would have already lost it a few times. Have a good weekend.