Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Am I in a movie?

Trying to be all healthy and whatnot, I decided to go for a run/walk today after work. I headed out of the hotel and down the street (their roads are VERY strange here) and found this cute little neighborhood. It sort of reminded my of Pleasantville. There was a little pond with lots of the backs of the houses facing it and everyone had a little white bench that faced the water, or two little white chairs that faced it. I only saw one duck in the pond and wondered what they did sitting in those chairs, staring across a pond that I could probably throw a rock across. Then I thought of Drena and how she would probably sit at such a pond if there was a chance that she would get to see an animal...I guess this neighborhood it full of Drenas. I started down the first street and nearly every house I passed had groups of people sitting on porches with lots of cars in the driveway, one house had a sprinkler going that a little boy was running through. It was very 1950's movie type thing. Then I went down this one cul-de-sac and there was this little girl standing in this driveway just staring at me. I feel like she was too young to be outside by herself but I am not her parent. She freaked me out because I didn't see her at first and then when I did she looked like the little girl in Poltergeist (no idea how to spell that). What was that girl's name Carryann or something. You remember her....and she would talk to the snow on the TV or something....it creeped me out.

Other than that, this town doesn't seem too bad. No unsalted peanuts at the store but I will let that go :-)

6 comments:

Mollypants said...

I'm thinking of 2 things:
1. David Lynch movies...he's really good at taking the completely ordinary and just making it completely freaking creepy.
2. Do you watch weeds? Little boxes, on the hillside, little boxes full of ticky tacky little boxes all the same...theres a blue one and a green one and a pink one and a yellow one and they're all made of ticky tacky and they all look just the same...

Mel said...

No, I don't watch Weeds, but I am thinking that I need to start..heard nothing but good things about it!

What is an example of a David Lynch movie?

m said...

A neighborhood full of Drena's. Very scary thought! Sounds like you are a little safer here then the one with the people hanging out at hotels (Detriot?). Random thought, you do not think those people were doing "business" ie illegal activities at the bus stop or in the hotel?

Drena said...

There is a Heaven on Earth...it's called a neighborhood full of Drenas! :)

Mollypants said...

David Lynch did Mulholland Drive, the Twin Peaks show, Blue Velvet and a pretty recent movie called Lost Highway. Kind of a film geek category - I'm not one, but I took a film & culture class in college and we had to watch a bunch of his stuff. I couldn't sleep for weeks, and when I moved to Philadelphia I was a little scared of it because Lynch said that his first movie Eraserhead was a representation of his experience in Philly.
Weeds is an AWESOME show, but be ready to want every piece of clothing that Mary-Louise Parker wears, and get ready to make a career change into something a little more "exciting" than the corporate gig. The funniest character is played by Kevin Nealon from SNL.

Mel said...

Yeah, never watched weeds cause Mary-Louise annoyed me in West Wing but I have heard it is good so I will check it out.

Meghan, that was Fredericksburg that the shady guy was hanging out near the hotel. I also saw that cop just sitting in the parking lot again when I went back...weird. I don't think that the guy was doing "business" but I do think that he was doing something to do with a girlfriend (fight or something) just from his body language.