Friday, August 8, 2008

Fun in Detroit

And no, nothing to do with flying (though we should be beginning to board now and the plane isn't here yet). I just talked to my boss and she said that there was no weather there and they just made an announcement that it landed.

Anyway, back to the fun...today we decided to eat outside for lunch (cause that is what you do when it is 75 with 0 humidity and a gentle breeze). On the way there we saw a cop sitting under this bridge. I commented that I had seen the cop that morning on my way in. We eat and then I want some ice cream so I get some and when I come back my employee says that the cop finally got someone. Hmmm, then we see he cuffing the guy and putting him in the cop car. After that we notice the cop talking to another guy in the pulled over car. That guy gets out and is talking to the one in the cop car. We are talking about how it would suck that your buddy got arrested and then next thing we know there is a tow truck pulling up and towing the car that got pulled over! Then we see the guy who was in the car but not arrested start to walk away. He cop car pulls off and then the strangest part was that the tow truck driver picked up a handicap parking sign from the lot they were in and put it in the back of the truck (is there a black market for these things??). I felt bad for the guy walking and we were trying to think of what that guy could have been chraged with. As I pulled out and drove to the light that poor guy was just standing there not looking like he knew what to do! Hmmm, great lunch time entertainment.

3 comments:

Mollypants said...

Usually it's driving on a suspended license - with DUI, they have to bring them in, and if they impound the car, only a licensed driver can go get it, and the impound lot charges by the day. It's kind of a racket for the city here too :)

Mel said...

Huh...interesting....glad that you know all this information...it did provide us with entertainment at lunch :-)

Mollypants said...

I live across the street from the police station and one of the cops always talks to me when I'm walking the dog (he has 3 beagles so he started talking about them) or walks with me if it's really late and sketchy out...one day there was a really similar situation outside my house and I asked him what had happened and said that it was really nice if they let a DUI guy go...he said they have to arrest DUI's like 99% of the time, but they do that with the suspended licenses because it makes the police department a lot of money, a lot of times it's either a junker that they just never come for, or it's got so many parking tickets that they'll finally pay those too if they come back for the vehicle.
I said "well, I take that back - that's not nice at all."