Monday, August 4, 2008

Public Service Announcement

This post will be two-fold. 1). For those of you with children, I want to warn you of this new deathly contraption at the airport. It looks innocent and you probably even played on it as a child...I remember getting in trouble because I sat on it once and my mom said I was going to ruin my clothes. What is this nasty and dangerous device you ask? The escalator. I think that I briefly alluded to the new announcement and the denger on Friday but now they make the announcements every 10 mins and have put signs by every escalator. I really wanted to take a picture but was afraid I wouls be in trouble for messing with national security. I won't type up the whole sign but the main jist is that children shouldn't ride escalators or moving sidewalks by themselves (who knew) and to "avoid the front, back, and sides where shoe entrapment could occur". There is also two pictures of shoes caught that look like they were taken with a camera phone and they are both crocs. Wonder how long before crocs gets pissed at that.

2). Dear airport patron who feels that she should look like she is going to prom when she flies,

I know you think all that fake jewelry looks so good and I know you like how you have fashioned your sunglasses to hold back your hair but when you go through and set off the metal detector and are told to take off your jewelry please take it ALL off!! I am assuming that the jewelry is from Claire's and came as a set so if one thing sets it off they all will. No need to take them off one at a time and hold up the line to the point that 15 people got through in the line next to us. I will say that I did have to grin when I fiannly got through and saw you off to the side with your bag being searched.....serves you right.

Just to let you guys know, there is nothing wrong with fake jewelry but it is METAL and not a precious one so it will set off security. I wear a silver necklace and ring everyday that is larger than some of the fake jewelry that sets it off. Think about the fact that we have to take off our shoes if there might be metal in the heel. Same metal. Now none of you guys will be "that girl". Not that you dress like prom or anything.

All looks good for my flight. Plane is here and has been unloaded so we should get off on time :-). Of course there is still 30 mins to go so who knows!

Happy Monday!!!

3 comments:

Mollypants said...

My uncle got injured on an escalator really badly as a child - like a severely broken arm and wrist and blood, from what I remember.
The people who dress up to go to the airport kill me. Chances are, they're carrying a fake Louis Vuitton purse and haven't read anything other than US weekly or Star since 1987. They want us all to know they HAVE MONEY TO FLY. And then they get on their Southwest flight.
I usually just wear jeans and flips (I carry heels in my carryon, though), and if I'm on a buddy pass I wear a sundress. In both situations, I wear no-underwire bras, take off the shoes regardless of whether or not they have metal, and I don't wear any jewelry I can't get off in less than half a second - no clasps. I'm also against what most people do - I carry as little possible on. I hate lugging that stuff through the airport, and I don't travel with anything terribly valuable anyway.

Mel said...

Don't get me wrong, escalators are definitely dangerous but they have been as long as they have been around and two kids getting hurt in two weeks doesn't make them more dangerous, it means parents need to watch their kids. Just seems the result of a law suit they are anticpating, I wasn't trying to say you shouldn't be careful. I also found it funny how they worded it. Sorry about your uncle.

Mollypants said...

ha, he's okay now ;)
It's kind of just a story I heard from my mom when I was on them..."don't play on the escalator, your uncle doug got really hurt on one!"...then again, it could be a family urban legend for all I know!