Tuesday, August 12, 2008

This is just sad!

So Rebecca posted about the Olympics and talked about how part of the opening ceremony was faked. I was curious and then tonight I was watching Evening News with Brian Williams (I think that is the name of it) and he talked about how lip syncing had occured before in the Olympics but this year the little girl they had singing at the opening ceremony was not only singing during the opening ceremony but AT ALL. It was another little girl..one that China deemed was NOT CUTE ENOUGH TO SING. That is so sad!! I mean the little girl that did the show was cute but the other girl didn't have a third eye or a humpback (that I could see anyway). I just think that is horrible that they didn't let that poor little girl sing. Ugh, stuff like that ruins it a little bit for me :-( I am still going to watch tonight but I just feel so sorry for that little girl...just imagine the head of your country deciding that your kid wasn't cute enough to be on TV and seen by other countries (not that it would happen to any of your cuties).

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

I know - bad isn't it? They said she had bad teeth, and that the "cute" girl only found out 15 minutes beforehand that she would be "performing". So un-cute girl suddenly got bad teeth 15 minutes before the opening ceremonines started? It's like that episode of Friends, where Phoebe got the video for Smelly Cat, but found out later that it was someone else singing (that lady had a nice voice but wasn't "pretty enough" - and Phoebe thought she was smelly cat...)

Mollypants said...

I thought the girl WAS cute. And really, doesn't EVERY 5-7 year-old girl have crooked teeth since their permanents are still growing in? Why didn't they just put those "flipper" things on their teeth like the JonBenet-type-kids do in pageants? Now that I think about it, though, the Chinese probably think we're crazy because we have those pageants.
It does remind me of something, a girl in my major at UGA worked for Vanity Fair one summer and there was a story that ran where Niki Taylor was holding up her twin babies on the cover. They AIRBRUSHED THE BABIES! Apparently the babies weren't cute enough? Were too fat? Who knows.
OH, and PS - those Chinese gymnasts ARE SO NOT 16. The girl at the opening ceremonies looks older than them.

Mel said...

Oh my gosh...it reminded me of the "smelly cat" episode too but I didn't know if people would think I was obsessed with friends for mentioning it :-)

And yes, all kids that age have "bad teeth" and would you really see them if she was singing...I kind of thought that the 'cute' girl looked fake but just thought she was lip syncing to her own voice. I hope this doesn't scar that little 'uncute' girl...I hope she turns out to be one of those models who said they were an ugly duckling....it just makes me sad....