Thursday, July 10, 2008

Catching up and weird hotel habits...

Tonight I met up with my cousin and we went to Federal Hill for dinner. It was really yummy and I think that I definitely ate too much!! It was really good to see her because it has been two years (since Alyson got married) since I have seen her. We grew up 800 miles apart but we always had fun when we did get to see each other. She had been through a lot since the last time I saw her and I think that we have lots of similarities so catching up was a light in my otherwise sort of frustrating day. Today the training definitely went better...my employee is very smart so she caught on quickly and once we made it through the first project and was able to finish another one and start a third....it was really nice. I think that I have just been feeling a little down lately, and I can't really pinpoint why...if someone reason this blog from start to finish they are going to think I need therapy with all my mood swings :-) Also, after talking to her I realized that my sister's wedding is coming up fast and I need to make sure I stay the size I am or my dress is not going to fit!!! It fit perfectly before......

So, just a little thinking about hotels. As you guys know, I try to do my part with the environment and part of that is that when I am on the road and in a hotel, I don't need them to change my sheets and towels everyday. I don't do that at home so why should I do it on the road? Normally the only way to do this is to hang the do not disturb sign on the door....and they should, well, not disturb.....right??? Hmm, so while I was in Albany (my second home for a while) I would put the sign on there every day and then when I would come back at night there would be a letter that was put under my door. It said something to the effect of they check the rooms every day for guests' safety. Ok, I get it, just in case I was murdered in my room or something, you want to find the body before it rots, but what if I really didn't want to be disturbed? I guess that is what the little top lock sort of thingy is for....
So, when I got here, I did the same thing, put my sleeping, do not disturb on the door, hung up my own towels and 'made' my bed (I don't move when I sleep so it just involves folding the covers back up), and didn't worry too much about putting away my person computer, ipod or extra hard drive. Tuesday, all went well. Wednesday, they apparently decided that my room needed to be cleaned regardless of my little sign on the door so when I came home yesterday they had cleaned it and given me new towels. Ok, didn't ask for that, and again the sign ignored. Today I got home and there was a bag of laundry items hanging on my door...more towels, shampoo, conditioner and who knows what else. I have never had that happen before but I thought it was weird...how dirty do they think that I am? This got me to wondering about other hotel habits:
Do you use the shampoo in the hotel?
Conditioner?
Do you take it with you (either for yourself or to donate)?
Do you trust the alarm in your room or get a wake up call or use your cell phone?
Do you use the hairdryer they provide or do you bring your own?
Do you iron your clothes in the hotel?
What thing do you forget the most?
Do you have them clean your room every day and if they do, do you reuse towels or get new ones?
Do you ever swim in the hotel pool?
Do you use the workout room?

I have found that I have a routine that I do at every hotel I go to ...sort of weird, but I guess I have to do it to keep me sane! It stresses me out way more when I go out of town for just one day instead of a whole week. Just curious what you guys do.

4 comments:

Mollypants said...

Do you use the shampoo in the hotel?
Conditioner?
-If it's a decent set, then yes - I have very long very thick hair, so if I can see through the shampoo, I skip it.
Do you take it with you (either for yourself or to donate)?
-I seem to think I can start collecting them, then I get pissed at the clutter and throw it all out.
Do you trust the alarm in your room or get a wake up call or use your cell phone?
-wake-up call. I hate alarm clocks.
Do you use the hairdryer they provide or do you bring your own?
-usually my own. I never know if they decided to get stingy. Plus the ones they give you aren't 1875, they're usually about 1500 - less power = bad hair day.
Do you iron your clothes in the hotel?
-rarely, if ever. Then again, I haven't ironed since november (I love my job's dress code!)
What thing do you forget the most?
-underwear and toothbrush. I've bought more on the road than I probably have at home.
Do you have them clean your room every day and if they do, do you reuse towels or get new ones?
-Yes, and I get new ones. They seem to smell funny if I just put them over the shower.
Do you ever swim in the hotel pool?
-if it's outside and I can get a tan or if I'm with friends and there's alcohol involved, then yes. I don't swim in pools like ever though. It's my germophobe thing. It's one big cesspool of bacteria.
Do you use the workout room?
-I don't even work out at HOME.

I'm going to try and be better now and leave that little card on the bed to tell them not to change the sheets!

Meredith said...

-Sometimes I use the shampoo and conditioner. I have thick hair too (that's wavy and frizzy at times).
-Sometimes I will bring it home, sometimes not... just depends. (Of course, we don't travel a whole lot)
-alarm clock
-during the summer, I will use their hair dryer because I only dry a little bit (just my roots), if during the winter, I take my own.
-I rarely iron my clothes at home, much less while traveling.
-sunscreen seems to be what I always forget, or tylenol
-I'd prefer that they didn't clean the hotel room and give new towels (like you) but they never seem to comply with whatever the particular sign says (if you hang your towel up OR, we wont' do it unless you request). Does that make sense?
- sometimes will swim
- depending on circumstances, might work out. (I forgot that stuff last time)

Zane Hollingsworth said...

When I owned a hotel I tried to ask guests staying more than one evening if they wanted their room cleaned daily or not. It saves money for the hotel if they do not want the daily service. Most of the maid staff get paid per room cleaned, so often they will clean rooms every day if they can. People would forget all sorts of things. Most common were pillows and phones. Everyone took unused lotion, shampoo, soap. FYI, if you didn't know, most hotels never wash the bead spread/comforters.

Erin H. said...

Shampoo/conditioner: normally bring my own b/c i hate combos, and a lot of hotels use the combo.
Do you take it with you (either for yourself or to donate)? If it's good stuff yes.
Do you trust the alarm in your room or get a wake up call or use your cell phone?
sometimes both
Do you use the hairdryer they provide or do you bring your own?
I use the provided hairdryer. I even have called ahead to make sure they have one. I hate having a lot of luggage.
Do you iron your clothes in the hotel?
sometimes
What thing do you forget the most?
toothbrush. and i hate the cheap ones the hotel will provide you with when you realize at 10 pm that you don't have one
Do you have them clean your room every day and if they do, do you reuse towels or get new ones?
Clean the room every day. New towels every day. I'll put the sign on the bed saying I don't need new sheets if they have one.
Do you ever swim in the hotel pool?
No.
Do you use the workout room?
No. I have run outside of hotels several times while traveling. I hate treadmills.

These answers are from limited travels. I don't go somewhere every week, so normally just a few times a year :)