Thursday, July 31, 2008

Update on my situation

So, now my 5:47 flight is delayed until 7:15pm. I talked to the gate agent and he confirmed me on the 7:15am flight tomorrow morning so I will at least get to go then. In addition to that, I figured that since I was going to miss my connection anyway, I might as well get paid for it so I offered to give up my seat. I will get $200 Delta Dollars for that and will be in first class for my flight out tonight (also delayed a couple hours). Now that I am confirmed on the flight in the morning I am pretty pumped about the $200. I mean the flight to MB is also delayed I am sure, since they said that there are no flights going out of Atlanta or in right now, but that would mean I would probably get there until midnight and really, what is the difference between getting there at midnight and getting there the next day at 8:30am...not a whole lot...just sucks to have to ride marta back home but whatever. Funny thing is that the guy across from me talked to his wife who said it is not raining there...hmmmm...probably something in between....

I was smart enough to have all electronics charged and to have my blackberry charger and computer charger with me.

Oh, and before I forget...another tidbit from earlier...we were going through security (all 5 of us) and the lady in front of me was on a belt all by herself so I got behind her...then she proceeded to take FOREVER...the TSA lady said "you are a pro, huh" and I was like really, this chick just took 10 mins to do less than I did in 2. The lady replied "yeah, when you do it every week, you get really good at it" Yes, you would think, huh.

Some of you might ask yourself (or me) why I do this job when I always complain about the traveling....there are many reasons:

1. I am dating someone who lives in a different state, it actually makes it easier and cheaper for us to see each other. Plus, it is a good excuse for why we don't see each other all week because I can say "well, even if we lived in the same town I wouldn't be with him right now". Messed up a little bit but long distance relationships are HARD and you find yourself saying whatever you can to make yourself feel better.

2. I am single and don't have anyone that I "come home to" so it doesn't really matter where I am, I have the same interaction with people as if I was home. I do miss going to happy hours and trivia and stuff like that but no one really does that anymore anyway so I guess I am not missing it...I am just not doing it.

3. I like free trips...both the ones that I take to locations that I wouldn't visit for a vacation and the ones that I take with all the points I earn from my work travel. I have crossed off many states in the good 'ol USA since I started working with all this travel and it is sometimes fun to go to places that you wouldn't want to waste a precious vacation on, but that you would like to see. Also, got a free trip to Australia with work. I have also gone to London, Yellowstone and soon Greece absolutely free of charge other than taxes...that is not a bad deal. Craig and my sister Jenn have also gotten free flights :-) and I think that we paid $13 total for our hotel for a week in London when Dudley, Morgan and I went there and that was only cause we made a phone call about a shuttle.

4. I don't really like being in the same place all the time with work...I have never had a job where I went to the same office every day....at least not a real one since I graduated...being in a different place every few weeks is just all I have known and I like to meet new people and learn about different areas of the country and world.

5. Because I live alone I save A TON of money when I travel....my electricity is only $30 a month when I am in town..almost nothing when I am gone. Plus, I don't buy gas, food, paper products (as evidenced by my last email) use any water ,and don't make trips to Target. All of those things save me money. Money that I don't have spend on other people so I can save...all part of #6 below.

6. I want to not be doing this in 5 years. I want to enjoy it while I can, see the places I can, meet the people I can and then I want to "quit my day job" Hopefully it will happen before 5 years, but if not, 5 years is my goal. I want to do something where I am my own boss and where I could raise my kids and take vacations when I want to. Life seems too precious to be tied to "the man". I don't want work to live I want to live to work. Cheesy but I think I could do it. I am not as gutsy as Molly is to just quit. I am too logical for that, but with a plan I think that I can do it. The photography thing seems to be going well, and thanks to Drena and her book recommendation I think that I am going to try some real estate investing and I am still determined to learn that darn stock market.

Plus, I like to write to you guys and complain but really I am pretty calm in the airports and I am always nice to people until they are mean to me. Even if I think that they are stupid, I am nice to them....I have learned that they can make or break you when you are stuck somewhere and their power should be respected. I also know what they are and aren't allowed to do from experience and will definitely politely call them out if they try to lie to me :-)

Next up will be my hotel advice for occasional travelers...sadly, it will probably be later tonight because I think that I am going to be here for a while....

4 comments:

Mollypants said...

Ha...for the record, "gutsy" (in my opinion) would be actually doing what you do - as much as I've moved around, I don't know if I could handle the loneliness of the road. I was offered a Pharm sales job and turned it down because I felt like I had to be around people, if not just for a little water-cooler conversation. I think you've always had more guts than most to pick what's best for YOU and your career rather than what is good for the short-term. And you wouldn't do it if you hated it, I know that - we all need to vent sometimes, if just on here.

Drena said...

Pretty good reasons! Nice benefits to put up with a little bit of hassle. Btw, I think you know, but just wanted to state that the real estate thing is a long term wealth generator. In the short term it will help you with your taxes! :)

Mel said...

The road can be lonely but I talk to random people and I think that sometimes I feel lonely at home anyway so...I do wish I got more tv channels!

And yes, Drena, the real estate is for long term and to help "get rid" of some of the photography profits in the tax area :-)

Not looking for any get rich quick methods, I am definitely a saver :-)

m said...

I think you have great reasons for doing it. Everyone has to do what is best for them and not everyone can do a 9-5 be home for dinner every night. Life just does not always work that way.